• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubricated wads versus non-lubricated wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smarksm

CivilWar Up to 1919 replicas 2nd Amendment freedom
Reaction score
Lubricated wads or non-lubricated wads that is the question and what is best for storing cap and ball Revolvers for long periods of time.

Lubricated wads or non-lubricated wads that is the question and what is best for storing cap and ball Revolvers for long periods of time.
I use my own punched 1/4" felt lubricated wads and leave my Ruger Old Army and my 1858's loaded for over a year at a time and they all go bang. Been doing that for over 30 years. I think the most I went was about 2 years before I fired it. Load and forget it.

If your gonna use it for protection or just to blast some critter....there is no need for wads or lube. The lube is for prolonged shooting to keep the accuracy. It's simply
Not needed for 6 shots.

Now to lube or use wads....I have both and found I can load quicker with using lube. Sometimes I lube every bullet in tje cylinder and sometimes I just lube every other bullet in the cylinder

What exactly does lubricant bring to the party for gun that will be sitting for long periods of time? Maybe a bit of corrosion, or a fouled powder charge after that long period? On a reload, sure, use a lubricated wad, you are committed to a timely cleaning after shooting. Wet loads and sloppy lubes are great at the range or when you will be shooting in relatively short order after loading. But for long periods of time….

I use my own punched 1/4" felt lubricated wads and leave my Ruger Old Army and my 1858's loaded for over a year at a time and they all go bang. Been doing that for over 30 years. I think the most I went was about 2 years before I fired it. Load and forget it.
Appreciate it that was what I was wondering. They’ll probably stay good for longer as long as no humidity gets to them because I will be using them for self-defense in the home. It’s the only protection I can own as a felon, the way the world is now I feel I need to have that type of protection. I’ll probably get another six shooter just in case hopefully the country gets better.

I see no reason to keep a cap and ball revolver loaded for long periods. WHY??? If anyone is doing it for self defense and/or critter control there is a multitude of firearms (unmentionable's) that are better suited to take care of any two or four legged critter that are light years ahead in performance and reliability. Old-timey ways are fine but have their limits. About the time you may have to use some 44 caliber black powder loaded cap and ball revolver that was loaded some time ago to protect yourself, family, or others.......Well a multitude of this or that could occur. Don't listen to those who claim they loaded their 44 capper 9 months ago and all six fired, maybe so, but you want to chance it. Mine are loaded the day I shoot and are empty the same day. One exception once, started raining when I was out along a river plinking, headed home with two cappers fully loaded, but they were fired the next day.

I have left several revolvers loaded for almost 2 years and they go off perfectly. Uberti 1858 loaded Powder, cap and ball....no wads for long term storage and I always use the biggest balls available. I wouldn't want to go that long normally, would make me feel better to shoot and reload every six months or so and don't use any oil in the cylinders or nipples. Also if for self defense you might wanna add a sxs shotgun loaded with buck shot for your first 2 shots.

Here's your Florida statute to clarify antique firearms are not considered "firearms" unless you rob or murder someone, more or less.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240623_175658_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240623_175658_Chrome.jpg
    849.7 KB · Views: 0
That actually makes a lot of sense. Especially compared with the mental gymnastics some of our politicians go through. Simple. Elegant. Not a firearm but if you screw around it is and Florida will land on you with both feet. I like it.
Even in Florida there are prosecutors that would charge someone for self defense.

To get back to the OP's original 'IF' I were to leave a cap and ball revolver loaded for any period of time, I'd go with an unlubed wad. Some of the wads you can buy commercially state they are lubed, but it is a dry lube. I always relube them with one of my concoctions as I feel they don't have sufficient lube on them. OR-punch out wads from dry felt and use them unlubed, but that may run the risk of a small rust ring in the cylinder, can't say. What may be the best bet is to load powder and seat a tight lead ball over the powder, no risk of any lubed wad of any kind contaminating the powder. As long as the revolver is stored in a dry, preferably cool area there should be no danger of powder contamination. Question to the OP, would you plan on leaving it capped for quick use, maybe none on the nipple the hammer is resting on or leave it entirely uncapped. Ifin you had intentions of leaving it loaded for defensive purposes or fast critter control, not having it capped would IMO make it equal to throwing a rock as you may not have the opportunity/time to cap. BUT----As I stated in my previous post #7 there are better firearms available for any personal defensive or critter control. Ifin 'thee Ol rubber is meeting the road', any of my cap and balls 'if they were loaded', would be the last firearm I'd use, even any of my Dragoons or Walker (unless of course I'm out shooting and all I had were some of my cappers). If you just want a loaded percussion revolver all loaded up for the next time ya go shooting, loading before that adventure takes little time. JMO's. CC

No wads at all for me. Powder, ball, and a little lube over that. That combo has been shown to last for well over 100 years. My favorite lube is beeswax/Crisco mix.

I would not consider a muzzle leader for self defense.

I would not consider a muzzle leader for self defense.
OP stated limiting legal issues with more contemporary firearms. Because you would not consider a muzzleloader (aka a cap and ball revolver) for self defense, I would love to hear what alternative you suggest? A concealed Louisville Slugger? Hire a security detail? Maybe hide in your basement? Please educate us.

Back