• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LUCKY Curly Ash!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4570tc

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been gathering parts for another build. Stock wood was the last thing I needed. Went to an old friend who used to build MLs. He had a BEAUTIFUL band sawed blank of the prettiest Curly Ash I have ever seen! well I ended up with the blank!
HAPPY??? Dancing Happy!!!!!

How's about a pic? I have a purple ash tree might not survive Emerald Ash Borer. It's getting trunk injection treatments now, but if they don't take, it's a gonner in about two years. I'm thinking of keeping one or two of the branches that might be of suitable shape and size for planing into rifle blank stocks. I don't really know what to expect or what to look for wrt selecting which.

Just so you know, Magic Maple stain (Chromium Trioxide) will turn your stock green after time when exposed to sunlight. I would opt using another stain.

I used aqua Fortis followed with an application of nut brown stain on this curly ash stock.

P1050639.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back