• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lyman deerstalker in 50 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strut64

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I will soon be picking up a used Lyman deerstalker from my LGS. I have not seen it but he says it has been well kept and in good shape. I used to have a T/C long rifle and could not handle it well due to the long length. So I am now getting back into the game. I intend to use only Black powder( my LGS stocks GOEX) for deer in PA where I live. My questions are; what will shoot best?
I used to use buffalo ball-etts and they shot very accurately. Should I stick with patched round ball or maybe the Hornady PA conicals. What sort of powder charge should I consider? Thanks in advance for your input.

Patched round balls will certainly be lots cheaper to shoot. In our experience with the Deerstalker, they thrive on a very wide range of powder charges too, allowing you to shoot really light charges for practice and even small game hunting. Our light load is 30-35 grains of 3f Goex, with a medium load of around 60 grains, and a heavy load for flatter trajectories of 90 grains. Hard to beat that kind of versatility while shooting cheaply, too. Best ball/patch combo for us has been .490 balls with .018 pillow ticking patches we lube with Mink Tallow lube from Track of the Wolf with that whole range of charges.

I'm betting that gun will serve you really well.

Two of my nephews live in PA using this same gun shooting 70grs. of 3F Goex .490 Hornady round ball
with .15 pre-lubed patch and get very good groups as well as taking several deer. Dan.

I use a Lyman Deerstalker in .50. I bought it used a few years ago and the previous owner gave me all his gear with it. He was using 370 gr. maxi-balls with 100 grains of 2f Goex. No patch. That being only my second year hunting with a muzzleloader, I decided to keep with what he recommended. And looking back, I am very happy with it. Shoots great, maybe a bit of a kick. Maybe it will do better with 90 or 95 grains, but that's why I just joined the forum, so I could see what the rest the world is doing. Actually liked my rifle so much, I just found a left hander for my dad and got him back into flintlocking. This year was the first time in 20 years we went deer hunting together. Had a few misfires, wet and crappy out, but I ended up bagging 2 in the late season. Absolutely love the sport. Sorry for such a long winded first post, but looking forward to being part of the forum and figured I would throw in my two cents. Thanks, Nick

I used to have one, prb works, played with hornady pa conicals, they work too, try 70 grains and a conical,or a .535 ball .10 patch. 70 grain. Be safe and have fun!

I had that exact rifle. Shot a lot of deer with it over the years. I gave it to my dad when he was 78 as he didn't want to lug the big long CVA thru the woods anymore. He shot a lot of deer with it too! We used 490 PRB with 85 grains of 3F and TOTW mink oil lube. I tried the buffalo bullets but found they tumbled sometimes but the biggest problem was in snow and rain I got misfires with the buffalo bullets. I don't know if snow/rain got down the barrel past the bullet or what :idunno: Maybe put tape on the muzzle in bad weather might help.Never had that problem with the PRB.Put a little mink oil, actually its a grease, around the cap and lug it all day in bad weather and it always went off no problem. My dad did have to tape the barrel wedge in as he kept losing them :idunno: Is a good solid deer gun all around

I have a lefthanded .54 cal. flint Deerstalker. Accuracy is impressive with roundballs or minie alike.

I see no need to really bother with anything besides PRB's, but tried the Minie's since I have a 40 year old mold, and occasionally use them in several other rifles.

Not sure what the big flap is over wanting to use Maxis, Ballets and other projectiles. Round balls have been capable performers for many generations.

Rely on the wisdom and experience of our forefathers. If roundballs didn't put food on the table, you can bet they would have found something better that would have gone into more universal use, and would be better known today.

I also have a .54 Deerstaker and it shoots roundball really well. Most accurate roundball barrel I have actually; beats my 1/66 twist TC .50 caliber barrels in accuracy by a good bit.

Walks with fire said:
...beats my 1/66 twist TC .50 caliber barrels in accuracy by a good bit.

That's been our experience, too. Dunno if it's just our guns or what, but the 54 Deerstalker also outshoots the 50 Deerstalker. The 54 is my wife's, and she does the Charleton Heston "cold dead fingers" thing about it.

Walks with fire said:
I also have a .54 Deerstaker and it shoots roundball really well. Most accurate roundball barrel I have actually; beats my 1/66 twist TC .50 caliber barrels in accuracy by a good bit.

You'll never know how much I HATE to hear that. I've spent more time with my .54 Deerstalker and a couple of other .54 cal rifles lately.

I need to spend a little more quality time with the .50 GPR, and am hoping to get more precision out of it at longer distance than I do with the .54's. I'd be sorely vexed if I'm unable to get the GPR to show up the little Deerstalker...

Could just be me or the gun but it seems to me that the .54 hold up a bit better at the 100 yard mark than any of my .50's do. That darn Deerstalker just keeps rolling them in there time after time.

My 54 deerstalker shoots pretty little clover leafs at 60 yards all day with PRB and 75 grains of 2f Goex. I can cover my groups with a silver dollar at 100 yards. I have only put about 60 rounds through it and I have heard it just gets better.

Back