• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Fiber Optics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keepontrying

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I boughtthe Lyman fiber optics for my Lyman GPR. They fit perfect. However, the fiber optics suck, They are not bright at all, unlike my TC Firestorm. I thought I would simply change the fiber optic rods. Does anyone know what size the fiber optics rods are? I should have looked at them before i installed them. :(

Thanks

Ron

i cant figure out why someone would buy a gun designed to look old and then put some new fangled plastic on it. if you must have something other then standard irons, you should get a set of peep sites. at least peep sites are more traditional then fiber optics.

sorry, had to vent a little.

-matt

Cynthia,
I understand the money and desire issue. For the most part, I agree with Matt85, but if it is what your rifle came with, and especially in these times, it can be hard to justify spending more money to replace the sights, especially since I'm betting that the fiberoptics work just fine. I have traditional fixed on all mine, but they didn't all come that way, and had to be changed over as funds allowed. Having said that, not everyone on this site has 20/20 vision, and I would much rather see someone use fiber optics than mount a scope, or even worse, leave us and go with a in^&*( or modern gun instead. Almost all of us will see our vision go downhill as we age, so I won't jump down anyone's throat for fiber optics without knowing their situation. At least the man is sticking with a traditional gun and that deserves a :hatsoff: in my book. But back to the original question, I can't help with what size the rods are supposed to be.

Fiber optic sights work GREAT on my service pistol, a Glock 22, for up close and personal encounters with bad guys..., but for hunting it has been my observation that they are so large and by their nature the gap is so wide, that they are poor sights.

I have applied snap-on fiber sights to the ventilated rib of my modern goose gun, as it causes me to assume a proper cheek to stock position when shooting at geese with shot..., again so crude that they would not do for single projectile shooting. I have an inline for teaching hunter safety classes, and it came from the factory with fiber optic sights... also very crude.

I'd suggest simply that one go with a more precise sight set up, perhaps a peep if an iron sight will not do.

LD

Wouldn't just getting a set of TC Firestorm sights be better and much easier? :hmm:

I think I understand. I tried a Glock 22 with night sights, which seem somewhat similar, at a previous bosses insistence, but have gone back to my 1911 or a Ruger Security Six for duty guns because both allow much more precise shooting, should it be necessary. I had forgotten about the difference in precision, but I think you hit the nail on the head. I have seen some people do some very good shooting with both fiber optic and night sights though, so maybe it's just oddballs like you and me? :idunno: BTW, Thank you.

Matt85 said:
i cant figure out why someone would buy a gun designed to look old and then put some new fangled plastic on it.
At 27 years old neither did I. Plus scopes look even worse and like peep sights don't work with old eyes for quick shots at spittin distance hogs in thick, dark cover.

Appreciate that eagle vision while you've got it, and good hunting for decades to come. :thumbsup:

Matt85 said:
i cant figure out why someone would buy a gun designed to look old and then put some new fangled plastic on it. if you must have something other then standard irons, you should get a set of peep sites. at least peep sites are more traditional then fiber optics.

sorry, had to vent a little.

-matt

I had to put fiber on my Pedersoli because of my old eyes. I tried peep sights my nephew had on his rifle and it wasn't much better than what I had. It just about killed me to have to put on fiber optics, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. It absolutely does look silly, but at least I can still shoot and hit what I'm aiming at. Enjoy and take care of your good eyes.

Keepontrying said:
I boughtthe Lyman fiber optics for my Lyman GPR. They fit perfect. However, the fiber optics suck, They are not bright at all, unlike my TC Firestorm. I thought I would simply change the fiber optic rods. Does anyone know what size the fiber optics rods are? I should have looked at them before i installed them. :(

Thanks

Ron

I had to change the front fiber on mine from red to lime green. I went to a local gunsmith thinking he would have it in stock. Turns out there must have been at least 6 different diameters that are available. He took a micrometer to mine and then ordered what I needed.

Don't misunderstand, I am not saying that something to make the sights contrast for one's particular vision requirements is a bad idea...,

I am saying that many of the basic OTC fiber optic sights are poor sights, even if they didn't use the fiber optics. I have found that the stock sights that come with inlines or from companies that make inlines as well as traditional rifles, tend to be "gross", using the term as the opposite of "fine".

There are precision sight companies out there that may produce some good sights that are enhanced by something fiber-optics.

I know of a fellow who took a very wide steel front sight post, cut a slit from fron to back down the center, and inserted a piece of ivory to make his iron front sight more visible in a manner that is not beyond the technology or materials of the 18th century. For him it worked well, for others, simply painting a color on the front sight post works too.

LD

My peeper's aren't what they once were. I appreciate anything that will ensure i get a clean kill EVERY time. I left the factory fibers on my Lyman Deer Stalker .54 and am glad i did. It's my workhorse,does everything i ask, and i can shoot a fist size group at 60 yards which is good enough for me. Now, my Sunday go to meetin' shooting irons are all traditional.I try and keep a leg on both sides of the fence. :wink:

No the fiber optics do not look right on a traditional rifle, but if ya need it to see well enough to shoot, then do it. Each year I see my eye sight go down hill, and for that reason I have gone to shooting peep sights on most of my muzzle loaders. I keep a williams appture with a larger dia size hole for hunting in the cap box. Got a smaller one for range work.

I dont see red very well so the fiber optics that came on my Deerstalker suck. According to my calipers the front rod is .060 so that is the size I am going to order from Brownells in green

I know of a fellow who took a very wide steel front sight post, cut a slit from fron to back down the center, and inserted a piece of ivory to make his iron front sight more visible in a manner that is not beyond the technology or materials of the 18th century.

Ye mean sumptin' like this?

Jaegersight.jpg
[/img]

Back