• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR Cleanout screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO, if it were mine, I would remove enough material from the end of the screw, so's it doesn't interfere with the nipple, then seal it in place, as Zonie mentioned.

IMHO, file or grind just enough material to clear the nipple, then seal with nail polish, clear lacquer, or blue locktight...then leave it in there or you will be buying a half dozen of those little screws so's you will have replacements when you drop it an lose it.

Moreover, you will forget where you put those half dozen replacements before you need one of them, then you will have to buy another half dozen and put 'em somewhere, where you won't forget where you put them. Then quickly forget where you put those. :idunno: :grin:

IMHO, it's much better to leave it in. It wasn't really designed to remove.

God bless

I have 3 Tc rifles with clean out screws. I always remove it when I'm done shooting for the day and cleaning the rifle. If you do not remove it every time you clean the rifle, it will no longer come out. If you have one, it is best to keep it clean so that if you dry ball a load you can remove the screw and pour some powder in. A screw that goes all the way in until it hits the nipple sounds like a quality control issue. You might want to contact Lyman and ask them about it.

I have a GPR and this is a foreign topic to me.
Ya'll saying I have an issue I wasn't aware of....Great!!
BTW....Removing the nipple to flush the barrel is all that's needed. Plenty of flow for that.
I actually assumed it was an inspection hole.
Silly me. :hmm:

J.D. that scenario sounds exactly like me! I have to wear a hat to keep from losing my head! I guess really the whole point to my question was my fear of losing the screw,that and I have never taken that screw out to clean my other 2 lymans. I believe the nail polish will satisfy my possibly unfounded fears.Thanks :)

Manufacturing hole as described. Can enlarge the hole, open the fire channel, Tap new threads, install a plug screw with red locktite, cut off the screw head and file flat. Problem solved and no more worries about loosing it or having to remove it for cleaning.

TC

My experience is that removing the screw is useful in cleaning the gun. I use a choke tube grease on the threads when I install the screw. I don't tighten it and so far it has not gone anywhere.

Back