• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lyman gpr double loaded, what now?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciffer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i double loaded my .50 cal gpr yesterday. i have found my ball puller to be useless. i am not going to try to fire it like this.

are there any good ball pullers available? or is there any good way to get the first ball out other than buying one of those CO2 dischargers?

I'd run a heavily lubed patch down the barrel to lube it real well, then shoot it. Two RB and powder is only a little more than a Maxi. If your patches have shown good in the past, there is no reason to worry other than the amount of recoil your shoulder will take. I've done this before by mistake when I've been interuped while loading, it hurts, but manageable. You can also pull your nipple and use a compressor with a rubber tipped blow gun to try to blow the charge out of the barrel. It will take full pressure of your compressor if it works, sometimes it does - sometimes it doesn't.

c02 is the way to go. but why are you haveing problems with your puller? is the screw not sharp enough? You might have to tap the rod with a small hammer and twist at the same time to get it started in the lead.

DEADDAWG said:
I'd run a heavily lubed patch down the barrel to lube it real well, then shoot it. Two RB and powder is only a little more than a Maxi. If your patches have shown good in the past, there is no reason to worry other than the amount of recoil your shoulder will take. I've done this before by mistake when I've been interuped while loading, it hurts, but manageable. You can also pull your nipple and use a compressor with a rubber tipped blow gun to try to blow the charge out of the barrel. It will take full pressure of your compressor if it works, sometimes it does - sometimes it doesn't.

there is 100gr of FFg between the balls, would that cause any problem?

killer said:
c02 is the way to go. but why are you haveing problems with your puller? is the screw not sharp enough? You might have to tap the rod with a small hammer and twist at the same time to get it started in the lead.

my ball puller is one of these, or similar
http://www.outdoors4less.net/proddetail.asp?prod=16982

it doesn't seem to cut into the ball enough to pull the ball. only time i got it to work was by drilling a pilot hole with a small drill bit first (the ball was at the end of the bore, long story).

Last edited by a moderator:
Try the lube and compressor. Second charge of 100 grains could really hurt.

Another option is go to the auto parts and get a grease zert the same threads as your nipple and use a grease gun to pump it out. It's a mess to clean up, but it works.

You should be able to blow it out pretty easy. If you have an air compressor lube up the bore real good, take out the nipple, and use a rubber tip nozzle to blow into the nipple seat. Point it in a safe direction. If you don't have a compressor I'm sure an auto mechanic would blow it out for you. The grease zerk option is good too but messy.

HD

I loaded a double ball with a powder charge this spring and could not pound them down with a hammer. They were about 6 inches from the muzzle.
I soaked them with "Kroil" for about 2 days and when I tried to screw the ball puller in, the whole load easily when to the breech end of the barrel and pulled easily. Try it! It works.

No reason your ball puller shouldn't work if you push and twist at the same time. Get a good, stout range rod if you don't already have one and screw into the ball until it won't go in any further. Restrain the barrel end of the rod and pull on the butt end of the rifle. Get a CO2 discharger - best tool in your shooting box . . .

Yep, a good stout range rod is a VERY useful tool to own. I have two. They are both made from solid stainless steel with nice wooden handles and brass bore guides. They make pulling a ball easy. I let the weight of the rod start the screw hole into the ball by dropping it the last few inches then turning. :thumbsup:
I have a CO2 discharger too but have never had to use it yet.

ciffer said:
what is the difference between a range rod and a ram rod?

Rod Click on the link. I have one of each a 44" 1/4" rod 8/32 and a 44" 5/16 10/32 both with a ridged handle (not rotating). One of the best investments you will make in shooting equipment.

A lot of times the ball pullers won't work because the threads have stripped out of the lead ball. This is usually because a lot of ball pullers are too small a thread. I have three sizes of ball pullers that I use in each of my shooting pouches. The first one is the smallest and if it works great. If it doesn't work I replace it with the next largest and now I have a pilot hole to work with. The final screw is a wood screw and it WILL pull a ball but it is too big to screw in without a large pilot hole.

Many Klatch

MikeC - good link. Here's another option:
October Country solid brass rod

Ram rod, range rod, bench rod - generally interchangeable terms. Some use 'ram rod' to refer to the usually wood rod that is included with and carried with the rifle under the barrel, and 'range rod' to refer to a metal or fiberglass rod that's carried separately.

Range rods are generally heavy, solid metal that can do heavy ramming and pulling tasks with no chance of breaking or bending.

Did the same thing in my .54 cal gpr. I shot it out. No problems. Kept on shootin.

A double load like that is a proof load used by barrel manufacturers back in the day.

I have done that a few times myself, and will most likely do it again. Shoot it out making sure it is seated all the way to the breech. I doubt if the second charge will even ignite.

Just shoot it out. Double loading like that is something that happens to all of us at one time or another and usually we shoot it out before we realize that we have double loaded it. It won't hurt your gun at all but it will have a pretty good recoil. It won't knock you down or dislocate your shoulder but you will notice the difference. All this struggle with a ball puller is unnecessary. Just shoot it out and go on about your shooting. No harm will be done.

Latest posts

Back