• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lyman gpr double loaded, what now?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Billnpatti said:
Just shoot it out. Double loading like that is something that happens to all of us at one time or another and usually we shoot it out before we realize that we have double loaded it. It won't hurt your gun at all but it will have a pretty good recoil. It won't knock you down or dislocate your shoulder but you will notice the difference. All this struggle with a ball puller is unnecessary. Just shoot it out and go on about your shooting. No harm will be done.

I agree. It won't be any different from shooting a heavy conical. Just make sure you seat it firmly before shooting it. Oiling up the bore couldn't hurt either.

HD

If you shoot it out tie it off and pull the trigger with a string. It isn't much extra work and the peace of mind is worth it. :)

the lube zerk is the safest with this load. why in god's name are you putting 100 grns of powder in this gun?65-70 is about all that will burn in a .50 before it clears the muzzle.

santabob said:
the lube zerk is the safest with this load. why in god's name are you putting 100 grns of powder in this gun?65-70 is about all that will burn in a .50 before it clears the muzzle.

This is sound advice. If you had just double balled shooting the load out would work. But with that extra charge between the balls, it's possible that when you fire the rifle, the first ball will compress the powder charge and cause the second ball to act as an obstruction and ring the barrel--or worse. Best of luck no matter which method you choose.

ciffer, you o me a beer. :wink: :haha:
I looked it up for you, but it took longer to find it than I had expected.. :shocked2:

As I´m living in Germany all our guns need to be proofed. And now I tried to find with how much they get proofed. Because it´s based on the same rules as in Italy - where your GPR-barrel had to be proofed. (Otherwise they wouldn´t be allowed to sell them :wink: )

Sooo, here it is now.
papy.gif
A .50 caliber has to be loaded for proofing with 13 Gramms (200grs) of blackpowder and 24 Gramms (370grs) of lead - shot or conical would be allowed for that.

Assuming that you rammed everthing of your double-load down well you shouldn´t get in trouble by fireing it out. :v

:hmm: If your ramrod is marked to see if you got everthing well it place, you could measure before shooting whether the double load is rammed down well or not. If not you could ask someone else to do the measuring of a single load in his GPR. :wink:

santabob said:

i ordered the ball puller that i mentioned in a earlier post. i am going to try that first, if that doesn't work i'll use the grease method. there is no one local that sell the CO2 discharger.

Lyman lists the max load for the .50 caliber GPR as 110gr of FFg with a .495 round ball. i use triple seven powder, which i have heard produces slightly higher pressure than holy black, which is why i have not tried a larger load.

the gun shoots very well with 100gr of FFg. i plan to spend more time experimenting with different loads when i have some range time.

romeoh said:
ciffer, you o me a beer. :wink: :haha:
I looked it up for you, but it took longer to find it than I had expected.. :shocked2:

As I´m living in Germany all our guns need to be proofed. And now I tried to find with how much they get proofed. Because it´s based on the same rules as in Italy - where your GPR-barrel had to be proofed. (Otherwise they wouldn´t be allowed to sell them :wink: )

Sooo, here it is now.
papy.gif
A .50 caliber has to be loaded for proofing with 13 Gramms (200grs) of blackpowder and 24 Gramms (370grs) of lead - shot or conical would be allowed for that.

Assuming that you rammed everthing of your double-load down well you shouldn´t get in trouble by fireing it out. :v

:hmm: If your ramrod is marked to see if you got everthing well it place, you could measure before shooting whether the double load is rammed down well or not. If not you could ask someone else to do the measuring of a single load in his GPR. :wink:
thanks for the great information, very good to know.

i have the ram rod marked for a single load and unloaded, based on the two marks the gun is definitely double loaded and well packed. as i mentioned above, i am going to try to pull the ball with the new puller first.

I am not sure of there are zerks made in the thread you are looking for.

Dave K said:
I am not sure of there are zerks made in the thread you are looking for.
IMO, if the thread in the gun is metric and the zerk fitting is not it still can be safely used for blowing grease into the bore to blow a charge out.

The catch is, just screw it in finger tight. If there is more than one revolution of engagement it will be ok for the pressures needed to blow out the ball.

If the threads do not match, although finger tight is ok under no circumstance should a tool of any kind be used to "tighten" the fitting.
That will cause a whole bunch of damage.

Back