• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR primitive sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFMSgt

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm a bit embarrassed to ask but I honestly don't know and can't find a picture or instruction for reference. I'm replacing the adjustable rear sight on a GPR with the Lyman primitive sight; which side of the site faces forward? Does the sight angle toward the muzzle or the breach? The sight blade is flat on one side, convex on the other and I assume it's for a reason.

The flat side goes toward you, the hollow sidefaces the muzzle. The theory was the notch would give a sharper edge to the v slot. the sight will angle backward a bit to the breach.

Yep. Tenngun has it right.
Plus the angle of the sight should help to reflect the light away from your eye and leave the backside in dark shadow so it contrasts better with the lighted background/target.

One thing that migt need mentioning on the GPR primitive sight is that it is made too small to fit tightly in the dovetail.
There are (at least) 3 ways to fix this.
1. Shim the sight. This is a PITA
2. Peen the edges of the primitive sight so they will be thicker.
3. Lightly peen the edges of the dovetail.

in my opinion the properly installed primitive sight gives a much better sight picture than the adjustable version and is well worth the effort to install. :thumbsup:

"in my opinion the properly installed primitive sight gives a much better sight picture than the adjustable version and is well worth the effort to install." ...Jethro

Amen to this! Moreover, some of the adjustable GPR [rear] sights wouldn't hold their elevation and windage adjustments. Once I discovered this, I immediately removed mine and installed the primitive sight and never regretted it.

I need to do that too. This is the correct one , right?? Installed like the "side view"?

screenshot-www%20trackofthewolf%20com%202015-08-09%2008-38-47_zpstgkqhton.png

Thanks

That's the one! You may want to telephone Lyman Products to get one of those sights as I think they're less expensive than the $14.99 price in the ad. Here are their telephone no's. (M - F, 9AM -4:15PM, EST):

1-800-225-9626

1-800-423-9704

1-800-632-2020

I have had much success with the "primitive" rear sight on my Lyman .50 percussion gpr. With a light 50 grain target load behind a patched .490 round ball, I can and have put multiple rounds though the same hole at 25 yards from a bench rest. That's better than can be said for my modern ar15. :)

I can say the same thing about my 50 Cal.percussion GPR.I was shooting 70 gr.Goex FFF.
Not grouping well at all at 25Yd.I was told that I was shooting to much powder.So I loaded up 50 gr. goex .490 ball lubed .018 PT.First time I shot off the bench at 25yd had three almost touching.Made a believer out of me.I was also told that 50 gr. was more than enough for deer.

Last edited by a moderator:
To each their own, but, I think a 50 grain powder load in a .50 caliber rifle is a bit too weak for deer hunting.

There are usually 2 different powder loads that give good accuracy in a rifle shooting patched roundballs and a bunch of loads between them that shoot rather poorly.

It might be worth the effort to try to find the accurate "higher velocity" load for hunting.

It might turn out to be more accurate than the low powered load. :hmm:

One thing's for sure with the more powerful loads.
They can blow by and burn a loose fitting ball/patch combination so, if your testing these more powerful loads, be sure to check out the condition of the shot patches.

If they are burned or ripped where the ball met the bore, use a thicker patch.

I agree with Zonie, My GPR shot well with 55 grains of 3fg powder, which is what I shoot at the club matches, and very well with 90 grains of 3fg.

My .50 cal GPR shoots it's absolute best with 90 grs of 3f as well.

I have had and have 4 54 cal rifles and the 80 grain GOEX 2F has been a go to for me. having said this I recently got some OL E powder in 2 and 3Fg configuration and cant wait to go have a see what it will shoot like in the 54's.

Back