• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Plains Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumbeaux

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally bought my first BP pistol....a Lyman Plains in 50. Serial number is 138XXX....any idea on year of manufacture ?? Gonna start with 30 grains of FFG and a patched .495" ball....know that the guide recommends FFFG but I use FFg in my T/C White Mtn Carbine and that is all I've got...

rick

2F will work. My .54 GPP is not REAL picky about which powder I use but it does seem to like the 3F powder a little better.
I think you will like your new pistol.
Sorry, I have no idea as to the date of manufacture. :idunno:

Rick,

FFg should work just fine other than you will notice that it fouls worse that FFFg probably would. I just had my Plains Pistol out yesterday after having sat in the safe for several years. I only shot it a little bit but at 25 yards I was able to keep five balls on a three inch dot and that was with a max charge of 50gr. of FFFg. Mine is a .54 caliber. If I remember correctly mines favorite load was in fact 30gr. of FFg and that would place all of them in one ragged hole if I did my part. Have fun with it I think you will enjoy.

Best,

Schutzenkette

Latest posts

Back