• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman quality?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airborne1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
In the event that I enjoy shooting my Crockett and wish to expand my hunting possibilities to include deer, I was thinking of a larger caliber, probably .50 cal.

I get the sense that Traditions are not thought of as the highest quality. With that said, how does Lyman stack up as far as a production gun? Would they be between Traditions and say Pedersoli? I know there are other options, but at this time I'm more interested in a production rifle.

I like the looks of the Trade Rifle and Great Plains Rifle. Any thoughts on these?

Thanks!

I don't know about the Trade rifle but I have four GPRs (3 percussion, 1 flint all .54s) and really like them. I have never had a problem with any of them and they have been shot a lot. They are all very accurate.

I only have two real gripes with GPRs. I don't like the factory sights. The front sight blade is way too wide IMO. I replaced both front and rear sights on all of mine with sights from TOTW. My other gripe is pretty minor but the comb area of the stock is way too thick IMO. One of my percussions is a kit and I removed a lot of material from that area when I built it. I feel this made a big improvement.

The current (Nov/Dec) issue of Muzzleloader magazine has an article titled "Selecting A Rifle" by Mike Nesbitt. He has some good things to say about GPRs in it. He highly recommends them to anyone looking for a rifle.

Lymans are certainly a big step up. I had a great planes rifle and loved it. Far as production guns go Pedersoli tops the list in terms of production guns quality.

On another note, Lyman offers the gpr in kit form, definitely something to look into if you plan on building.

I have one of each and will offer up a couple of items to consider. For the purpose of hunting, the Trade Rifle is a little shorter, handier and lighter. Many also prefer a single trigger for hunting. My Lymans are both .54s which also helps with weight. Love them both.

Lyman rifles are built by Investarms in Italy. I have several Investarms Lyman rifles, and several Investarms Cabelas rifles. One is a 35 year old caplock, and is representative of the great quality of the day. My latest 2 (flint GPR and flint Deerstalker) are equivalent quality, although it seems the newer rifles took a little more twiddling to properly adjust the set triggers.

My flint GPR is .50 cal. I wanted .54 cal, but this was a lefthanded model & they were hard to find. I've gone to return to shooting righthanded flints, and have both .50 & .54 cal's. The .50's are harder to break in than the .54's. I've had the lefty GPR for several years & still aren't satisfied with the way it shoots. The .50 cap rifle is plenty accurate, but is fussy to load.

Overall, my .54's and a couple more of friends, have all been easier to break in, and more forgiving over a better range of accurate loads.

My.54 cal flint deerstalker easily busts grapefruit & water balloons at 100 yards, and in general .54 cal seems to retain energy out to a farther distance.

Given the choice, I'd recommend a .54 cal for your next rifle. A GPR, Trade Rifle or Deerstalker in .54 cal. is a good solid choice, and won't disappoint you.

As soon as my current obsession with .62 cal smoothbore flintlocks subsides a little, I forsee a Lyman Trade rifle in my future. It will be .54 cal.

Lyman "quality" is arguably history. Find an unused T/C or Pedersoli Traditional Hawken (I think they call it), the Cabela's-branded Pedersoli Kentucky if you want a double set trigger, or their regular single-trigger Kentucky with a patchbox instead (my preference for hunting), maybe the Cabela's-branded Blue Ridge (Frontier) rifle if you've handled them...

You can't do any better.

about 3 weeks ago i ordered a lyman trade rifle. took it out of the box went to lay the barrel in the stock and it wouldnt lay down to get the wedge in. another words without instantly doing some work i couldnt even put it together to actually see what it was gonna be like. i realize ya dont get much these days for 500 bucks but i wasnt impressed so back it went. 20 years ago i owned a lyman gpr it was a very nice gun. so i dont know if it was just that one i just ordered or if the quality isnt what it used to be? i just think for the money it should have been better.

Did you bother to read the instruction book that came with your rifle?

It has a section that describes how to adjust the underlug so the wedge will install easily.

Apparently, Inestarms feels hand fitting the underlug by the owner is better than having one of their factory workers do it.

I understand why some people, after spending a big chunk of cash might not want to have to do anything to their new rifle but a lot of people do the minor fitting that's needed.

with the breech hooked in the tang the muzzle was a inch from the stock. the breech end was hitting wood. i should say not the muzzle but where the barrel would be at the end of the forearm

A couple of additional comments to what has already been posted - handle the rifle before you purchase, if possible, the Lyman GPR fits me well, better than say a T-C Hawken, find out what fits you. I think the GPR has a longer LOP.

Ditch the GPR's adjustable rear sight it you get one and use the fixed rear (it come with both rear sights), the adjustable one will not hold zero in my experience.

Used GPR's and Trade Rifles in nice condition (be sure to check the bore) can be found for around $300 here locally, often you can get all the accessories thrown in with some powder and balls as a package deal.

Put a flashcup on the nipple, it will be easier to clean. I like the .54, it is a bit lighter than the .50 and for me easier to shoot offhand.

I have a Lyman GPR in 50 cal,,heavy by some standards but I like it,to date have had no problems with it..I own others now but like the GPR,though if I know I 'am going on a long hunt/walk I take my H/A under hammer in 45 cal.
I don't put much store in what other people like or dislike,I pick what I buy and am happy with..you have to decide.
as for caliber know your limits and the rifles limits and you will have no problems,and Shot Placement.
Some rifles have more problems and it is good to read about them other than write about them,,
See you up the trail and remember,always drink up stream from the herd,

You might just have been unlucky. I bought the same model, had to go mail order as the local shop couldn't get one in flint. I had some concerns but when I opened the box the rifle went together with no problems.

I've been shooting it several months with no adjustments or tinkering, it's been great. Did you replace it with another or go with another brand? I've had no direct experience, but from reading about Lyman before I ordered, they are pretty conscientious about customer service.

Jamie

Elk Killer said:
with the breech hooked in the tang the muzzle was a inch from the stock. the breech end was hitting wood. i should say not the muzzle but where the barrel would be at the end of the forearm

If I'm understanding you right, I had the same concern with my GPR. I stumbled upon this video and with a slight turn of the two tang screws, the barrel fit perfectly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi5KueBrG88

Last edited by a moderator:
don't let one rifle turn you away from hunting if it just don't make it for you. Find some place like a sporting goods, gun shop, pawnshop or friends that has a few or more different rifles. Find one that fits you then go from there. After you find the "one" then get the stuff to make your own round balls. After that you can start looking for the next one. Myself i like the way the traditions kentucky handles. Pedersoli and most t/c and some of the older gpr's are better made than the traditions but that don't mean they will out perform the traditions rifles. Good deer killers are .40's and anything bigger. With all that said remember what many have said before "beware of the man/women who shoots only one gun"

Alden, care to expand on your comment about Lyman quality having suffered? I've kept an eye on the GPRs over the years, and the one place I feel they have lost ground is the quality of the European walnut stocks, with quite a few of the more recent ones having some ugly green wood. I am unaware of a decline in the quality of locks or barrels, though.

I've had a Lyman plains rifle that was made in the late 1970s. It is much like a Cabelas or Investarms hawken and made by Investarms.

It is a good shooter with the 1-48 58 cal barrel with PRB or hornady great plains bullets. The bullets kick like a mule. It also came with a 62 cal smooth barrel.

The gun is well made and has never given a problem.

It is great to carry in the woods as the 15/16 barrels and large bores make for a lightweight gun.

I have not compared it to current production but is nearly identical besides patchbox to a cabelas hawken.

Mad Professor said:
I've had a Lyman plains rifle that was made in the late 1970s. It is much like a Cabelas or Investarms hawken and made by Investarms.

It is a good shooter with the 1-48 58 cal barrel with PRB or hornady great plains bullets. The bullets kick like a mule. It also came with a 62 cal smooth barrel.

That sounds like the Lyman Trade rifle.

Back