• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman quality?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"And based solely on this statement, I wonder if you need to spend more time working up a proper load for it before complaining that your barrel doesn't work"

Well, that's just it, I've been working with this barrel now for about 6 mo or so and have fired closer to 300 rounds to date load testing in 5 round grps with about as many different types of load components that I can come up with. I'm nearing the end of my rope here and was hoping for some ideas as I'm beginning to get discouraged and am running out of ideas myself. Thank you all for your input. I will carry on till the end.

Try both ends of the scale with grains. Up and down. The smaller calibers seem to do better with lighter loads and 40 not exactly being small but not big either. My 32s like around 15-20 grains. Maybe start at 20gr and work all the way up the scale. What do you have to loose except a little more time.

That's what I'm gonna do. I just bought some Black MZ powder to try. Never used substitute powders before, but you never know, it might just do the trick. Do you know of anyone that offers a powder measure that graduates in one gr increments large enough for rifle loads? I do appreciate your input.

Perhaps its time to run one of the bore scopes down the barrel, One of the more consistent shooters had a rifle that was just super accurate. Suddenly the groups opened up and nothing he could do would close them back up.

We took a look down the barrel and found a rough spot about where the ball rested on the powder. Through years of shooting this ring had built up. The solution was to cut off the breech to shorten the barrel past the rough spot. Its now as accurate as it was before. The theory was that the rough spot grabbed the patch and blow by blew the ball off course.

I know that you have only shot your rifle about 300 times, but it may be worth a look to see if there may be something amiss in the barrel. It should not nave shot great one day and the next range session lost that accuracy.

My other theory is totally a wild guess. Try changing the wedges to see if they are changing the relationship of the stock to the barrel. Lengthen the slot in the wedges to give you allowance for the barrel to move forward and aft while the barrel expands during firing.

Even though it is a new barrel I'd still like to take a look see down in there. Bore lights don't help much. You can't see what's in the shadows, but a scope might just reveal a previously unseen problem area. I'll def give it a try.... Thanks

I have had ML's that gave me grief like that. Sold some. But then I stumbled across something that fixed the problem. Now, before I give up on a gun I will always inspect the muzzle crown carefully. And I now regret selling those other guns.

I have found on some of the Italian guns the bevel they put on the muzzle can be a tad off center from the bore axis. I could see this when I looked at the bevel and slowly spun the barrel in my hands (holding it vertical). I could see that the bevel got thicker and thinner as the barrel spun.

IF the muzzle has this problem, I will clamp it in the vice and file down until that bevel is completely gone. Then I will use a spherical grinding stone and hand-twist it on the muzzle until a new bevel is ground in that is centered. Clean out all the grit and take it to the range.

I had a Pedersoli .32 that I wore out the crown using a polymer ramrod and accuracy went down the toilet. Filed the muzzle until the rifling was crisp and visible, re-beveled the crown and it worked.

As per Dutch's advice:

I gather that you "settled" on a 45 grain charge not because that was the highest charge you tried but the one that shot the best groups to date.

How high did you go when seeking a decent powder charge? Did you go as high as 70 grains? (although that would seem stout for squirrels).

New guy here.

I've got a PR I bought in 1995. It's very well appointed and very accurate, although I can't shoot an MOA with it.

It's got a European walnut stock on it. I think it was made by Davide Pedersolli. The very day I got it, I stripped off the bluing and browned all the steel on it, for which I've never regretted, although the blue was fine.

Recently, a buddy of mine who works at a gun store said a customer brought one in that had a hardwood stock rather than walnut. I looked up the current Lyman PR and the picture appeared to be, indeed, a rifle with a hardwood stock. This means little to the shooter or to accuracy, but it means a lot to me.

Cabela's has what appears to be the OLD LPR with a walnut stock for about the same price.

Black Jaque said:
As per Dutch's advice:

I gather that you "settled" on a 45 grain charge not because that was the highest charge you tried but the one that shot the best groups to date.

How high did you go when seeking a decent powder charge? Did you go as high as 70 grains? (although that would seem stout for squirrels).

Everything appears to be concentric with the crown.

Right, the 45 gr charge was the best shooter starting at 35 gr and ending at 60 gr in 5 gr increments. I would love to have a powder measure that does one gr increments for fine tuning a load that is large enough for rifle charges, but I suppose that's asking for too much, because I've never seen one nor can't find one either. I will be tweeking powder charges and trying a couple other different powders next as well. Hopefully it works. I've never had a rifle yet that I couldn't find a dead nuts load for, but all the others were far easier than this one has been.

Walks with fire......Yes, I agree, I intend to try that move too, as well as another brand....Thanks.

If you want to fine tune it in 1gr increments, you are pretty much going to have to get a powder scale. You could probably get the Lee powder scale cheap if you don't have a scale. Most people don't like the Lee because it isn't the best to use but it is still accurate. I have one but it is my backup scale if my electronic one is down. If it isn't feasible to weigh charges where you shoot, you can get some small containers to hold powder in and preweigh them.

mtmanjim said:
Everything appears to be concentric with the crown.

Right, the 45 gr charge was the best shooter starting at 35 gr and ending at 60 gr in 5 gr increments. I would love to have a powder measure that does one gr increments for fine tuning a load that is large enough for rifle charges, but I suppose that's asking for too much, because I've never seen one nor can't find one either. I will be tweeking powder charges and trying a couple other different powders next as well. Hopefully it works. I've never had a rifle yet that I couldn't find a dead nuts load for, but all the others were far easier than this one has been.

From what others have already posted you would not be insane to keep working UP until you were around 70 - 75 grains. But it does seem a bit odd that you didn't notice a slight improvement at 60 grains.

"But it does seem a bit odd that you didn't notice a slight improvement at 60 grains".h

I know.....no difference, the same 3, 4, or 5 inch groups......very frustrating to say the least. Mighty discouraging as well. After all is tallied up I have around $500 or better in this "little" project and can't hit the side of a barn. Oh well, it is what it is. Will keep trying till there are no other options left except to reline the barrel. I'm almost at that point now.

Mooman......I have a Lyman scale. Will pre weigh charges in one grain increments if that's what I have to do.

Don,t neglect the Pa Pellet by Traditions.It has a lot better lock than the Deerhunter and has a removeable breech plug.

Back