• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman, shocked by what I got

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flteng

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Lyman deerstalker and really like it. I ordered a GPR left handed percussion and got it today. When I pulled it out of the box I immediately noticed 3 of the 4 screws securing the ramrod holder to the barrel were missing and the piece was flopping around. When I went to put the barrel in place it wouldn't sit in the stock properly. I noticed the snail, the piece the nipple screws into did not fit into the cutout on the lock assembly. The snail was sitting on the forward edge of the cut out. I did some quick checks and was sure I was laying the barrel in there properly. I bought the gun thru midsouth shooters supply. I contacted them and they immediately sent me a shipping label for a return and replacement. I was shocked to get this from Lyman I even asked midsouth if this was a previous return. I suppose this happens every now and then.

This is happening quite often with Lyman lately!! There is a couple of Threads here about the Junk that they are putting out. I bought a Lefty Lyman Flintlock and it took me a good Year to get a decent Lock and trigger assembly off them in order to get the Gun in shootable condition. You made a good decision to send it back.I have an older Lyman Percussion that I`ve had no issues with. It seems their Quality Control almost doesn`t exist anymore.....

Have a friend who got a Lyman deerstalker. It was terrible. We ended up have to replace the rear sight out in the field. I had an extra, and had brought along some gunsmith tools. The Lyman sight would not fit, and the milled dovetail slot was crooked and beveled wrong.

I was more than a little surprised.. I'm actually going to ask him to send the barrel back, and have them make it right. Hope their customer service is better than that product.

In my experience, their customer service is nonexistent. I bought a die set that wouldn't re-size to spec. They ignored all correspondence.

It is a sign of our times, the kids that got pushed through school are working now. It is a wonder anything is built right anymore. That is what attracts me to this sight, guys getting back to doing things themselves the old way. :hmm:

I bought a Deerstalker and haven't gotten a chance to shoot it much so far. It needed some fitting to get the flint lock flush to the barrel so the pan powder doesn't get up under the barrel; the ramrod thimble loosens up from the sling being on it. The vent liner got replaced with an RMC. The tapped hole had a big burr at the end that was clogging ignition. The sights centered well for the 20 shots I have taken with it; it grouped half decent at 50 yards with 80 grains. The trigger is smooth and light enough. The lock seems to spark pretty well. Not a whole lot of complaints so far.

I think it will be a fairly decent rifle in the long run and they aren't too expensive. Of all the rifles and barrels I own I like my Green Mountian barrels the best. I don't see another Lyman in my future though.

Please give us an update on your rifle when you get it, I don't see one in my future but it'll help folks who are on the fence about buying one, So far it doesn't look good for the future of Lyman if they continue to put out the junk folks have been getting lately :shake: . I for one can't understand why Midsouth and other folks don't inspect the product themselves before shipping it out? :idunno: Seems like it would save them a bunch of trouble if they did.

I'll second the request for a report. I have been considering buying a GPR kit, for my first 'build'. Baby steps. I need to know if it would be a good investement.

Ya know, the GPR was one of those rare "you can't go wrong" recommendations for price and quality balance for someone who wanted to shoot black powder.

What are those folk doing!?

Green Mountain isn't making their IBS barrels anymore (i hear), TC is no longer making sidelocks, and Lyman's QC is dropping off.

Are we looking at a case of "diverting resources to the areas witht the most profit potential?"

GunControl= quality control and i am still unsure if i can shoot lead balls in Ca.they banned lead for hunting especially in condor areas,which a condor can fly from one end of Ca. to the other and never bat a wing,just sore!
but then again,i'll do it anyway! :thumbsup:

stick with the old stock of guns ie used from the good years. in those days lyman was a quality manufactor.

Geeze! I hate to hear of the state of things at Lyman today. I used to own a beautiful caplock GPR that was a great gun. Well made and a fine shooter. Too bad they are letting things go down the drain.

If I were a shareholder in Lyman, I would be screaming at the BOD about this. They are pretty much the only game in town, and instead of acting like they want to stay that way, they are inviting a competitor to set up and take their market share.

I know they get thousands of guns in from Italy every year, With this frequency of complaints, they ought to be doing a little remedial quality control, and if necessary threatening Investarms for such flubs.

When PA legalized flint pistols for deer hunting, I wrote to Lyman and asked them to consider making a flint version of their plains pistol. Never even got a "thanks for your comments" form email.

I handled customer complaints for a few businesses over the years. There are some folks who just want whatever they can get for free from a corporation, other's have legit beefs and the corporation can use the contact to create a good impression or to screw up. My experience with Lyman's customer service and a few other companies is terrible,

Just took delivery of my GPR. Try as I might I can't get the rear wedge pin to line up. :surrender: As far as I can tell the barrel channel isn't deep enough. :cursing: Sad because the overall fit and finish of the gun are outstanding. Good thing Cabela's supplies a return shipping label.

I had the same problem the rear wedge. It would not go in straight. The new one arrives tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed.

I sent them a complaint via their website and alas no response from the company. Think next time I'll look at Pedersoli.

I got my Lyman's Deerstalker last Christmas. It's been a good rifle. It may not be perfect, but it's good, especially for crawling around in the woods with.

I don't intend on this being my only rifle, but with the many poor quality and CS threads I'm not sure I'd buy anything else from them.

It's a shame because I don't have much $ to put into new guns and I'm not that fond of some of the Traditions. Pedersoli has a few inexpensive models I suppose. That or just save up more of my pennies.

Back