• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman, shocked by what I got

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Legty Flint GPR a little over a year ago. Fit, finish and performance is everything I had expected.

Apparently I got the last one built to a higher quality standard.

I am very happy with the GPR my wife got me a couple of months ago. It it very accurate.

I have only had to call Lyman customer service three times in the last ten years or so. All three times, my call was answered quickly and professionally. I have used their molds for years and also their reloading dies and a press. Really, no complaints except for one undersized mold that I returned and got a replacement for.

I've never been lucky :grin:

Rick

Btw, my previous post was not directed at anyone else. Just relating my general experience with Lyman products and service. I do not doubt others experience that is different from mine.

Rick

RickkS said:
I am very happy with the GPR my wife got me a couple of months ago. It it very accurate.

I have only had to call Lyman customer service three times in the last ten years or so. All three times, my call was answered quickly and professionally. I have used their molds for years and also their reloading dies and a press. Really, no complaints except for one undersized mold that I returned and got a replacement for.

I've never been lucky :grin:

Rick

I have had almost exactly the same experience as Rick. I've never had a problem with customer service. I called about a broken ram rod the first time and they sent a replacement, free.

I surely hope this is only a blip in the history of the company.

Mike

I built my GPR .54 percussion kit about 9 years ago. No complaints on the kit parts, etc. Been very happy with it, shoots great and have harvested several deer. I was thinking about building one for my son...maybe should reconsider.

Lyman's BP rifles are made in Italy by Investarms. Investarms also makes slightly different models for Cabelas. The Cabelas Hawken is much like the Lyman Trade Rifle. There's also a Cabela's carbine and a modernized Hawken...nothing like the GPR, though.

The Cabela's guns have chrome lined barrels, where Lyman's do not. Fit and finish seems better on the Cabela's guns in my limited experience. (I have a Cabela's carbine I bought used that's well made and deadly accurate)

However, the Cabela's price was higher when I last looked. This may be because of the chrome bore or because they demand a higher quality product from Investarms.

Cabela's seems to take customer satisfaction seriously if my dealings with them are any indication. If Lyman is falling down on the job, take a look at the Cabela guns.

Cabelas is now using Pedersoli as the manufactuer of its' muzzleloading rifles. They no longer use Investarms, like Lyman does. I don't know if they're still going with the chrome lined barrels.

My biggest problem was all the old timers retired, and now we have no gunsmiths in our area... So, got me some learnin, hung out a sign. Now I'm the local smith!

Talk about learning how to do it yerself!!

Back