• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman trade gun stock reshape

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott k

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Tell me what you think on how it looks.
DCP_3430.jpg
DCP_3422.jpg
DCP_3416.jpg

Worked on it this week and this is what I ended up with.I still have to finish it up.
Lehigh

Thats what it came with Bob .I think it's european walnut.
Came out a little lighter than I wanted but it looks nice.
The wood looks like the same as my older sweedish mausers the ones made before the 1920's.
Lehigh...

Lehigh,
It looks really great. I think the trade rifles are stained so dark to get rid of the great variation in the grain. The mountain plains rifle before it was not stained so dark and looked much like yours does now. But I would be surprized if it isn't an african tree, that can be bought much cheaper than walnut. I can't verify that, but it looks like Afrimosa. I had a kit once from euroarms and a woodworking friend who knew wood told me that was what it was. Happy shooting!
God bless.
volatpluvia

I built a GPR kit a couple months ago and I reshaped the cheek piece exactly like yours. I like the look of the earlier style cheek for my flintlock. I finished the stock without adding any stain to the walnut and used Tru-Oil, I like the lighter walnut as opposed to the dark walnut finish that comes on the pre-assembled lymans. I have a percussion GPR which I bought pre-assembled a couple of years ago that I am also going to rework the stock to look more like the slimmer lined Missouri rifles. I am going to get rid of the "shad belly" and slim down the forarm some. I like the looks of your trade rifle.

Good job Lehigh, thanks for the pictures. I've been trying to explain how this could be done but your pictures make it much more easy for someone to visualize.
Mine, (several over the years) look very similar except I've never added the capbox because I've never found any practical use for it, but it sure does say "LEMAN".
As to Lyman's wood, I can only say it works like walnut and takes a stain and finish like walnut. Once I removed the plastic varnish/stain I was very pleased to find nice contrasting grain under it.
Thanks again for the pics. :results:

Thank you CJ. If I remember right you the one that gave me the idea :thumbsup: I put the cap box on for looks only. Practical? na! I not either :crackup:
Lehigh

Latest posts

Back