• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mail order lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$14 per pound?!!!!!! We can get pure, soft lead locally at the scrap (recycling) yard for .50/pound and no shipping cost added. Have you tried your local recycler?

it's pure 99.9% for $99 the 50 lb box delivered.

I wouldn't pay $14 @lb to anyone. besides i think the going rate for lead is somewhere around $1.00 lb in the market. I have not checked out the local scrap yard yet.

Are there any stained glass shops in your area? I get my lead free from a local shop. They consider their lead scraps a hazard & are happy for me to 'dispose' of it and I am happy to get soft lead for free!

yes their is a shop I have bought beveled glass from them before. I'm looking at some leg work, if I want the free stuff.

Claude maybe you can answer this question for me.
I found some lead in a salvage yard here, and it has the LYMAN logo in the ingot they look to be about 1 lb each price per lb $1.00

I think this stuff is made of 5% tin, 5% antimony, 90% lead.

Now I have already ordered some lead pure from rotometals.

So if I was to mix the two together how much of the pure lead would you mix with the Lyman lead?
to bring it up to about 98% pure,

Four pounds of pure lead to 1 pound of the mix. That would take the 10% of tin and Antimony and divide over 5 pounds of lead. 10 divided by 5 = 2. So you would have 2% tin and animony in each of the five pounds of cast lead. This still is much harder than pure lead, and should be used with conicals, or knowing that the round balls cast will be slightly lighter in weight, larger in diameter, and almost certain to not expand on hitting animal flesh. Adjust your sights, adjust the patch thickness, and be prepared for greater penetration, but less reaction by deer and other game when they are hit with this alloy ball.

I would recommend adding 9-12 lbs. and reducing the percentages to 1 percent or less per pound. But that is just MHO. The softer the lead, the better performance you get from a RB.

Why not just set that lead aside and use it to cast bullets for rifles, and modern handguns? Or trade it to some caster who does reload modern cartridge guns?? Its worth money to any caster, and if you can get your money out of it, you can buy scrap pure lead at your local junkyard.

paulvallandigham said:
Why not just set that lead aside and use it to cast bullets for rifles, and modern handguns? Or trade it to some caster who does reload modern cartridge guns?? Its worth money to any caster, and if you can get your money out of it, you can buy scrap pure lead at your local junkyard.

Paul, i did not buy any of the scrap yard lead, the lead from the scrap yard is the lead in question.
which has the "Lyman" logo and also some has the "saeco" logo.

i'm taking this as being to much of a hassle with all the mixing, it seems better to just use the pure 99.9 stuff only.

I am buying the pure lead from rotomeatals.

Scrap yards get all kinds of lead. Ask for pure lead, and if they don't have it, don't buy the other stuff. Go to the local roofing contractors and offer to buy the used lead flashing they have to remove and get rid of from houses that are getting new roofs. Talk to plumbing contractors who may have to remove old Lead pipes as part of their work. The phone companies, and Electric service( Power) companies remove lead wrapped power lines, and are another source of cheap lead. They want the copper, but if you offer them a " deal " to take the lead off, and return the copper, they might just let you have the lead. That can be hard work, and if they can find someone else to do the job, that might make them very happy.

Ingots with LYMAN marked on them only means that someone, somewhere poured some lead of unknown composition into a Lyman ingot mold.

These molds are sold to anyone who wants to buy one and are usually owned by reloaders who cast their own bullets.

I have lots of lead....
lots of wheel weight, which goes in the smooth bore gun and the boys rifle. I have adjusted patch thickness for him and they load good and shoot well.
ALL my trade gun stuff is wheel weight material also, no rifling to engage, find a patch thickness that gives a good fit.

My pure soft lead, I feed my little guns....the 32 and the 40 and my .50 pistol.
why?... well the .40 keeps giving me excellent groups and high hit %age! not gunna change whats working. pistol is same way. the .32, not a lot of room for error in that little bore, so in goes the soft stuff!
I have shot WW in all my guns at one time or another and results have always been good.

A good source for lead that others have mentioned here is...your dentist. it wont be a lot, but it will be pure!
I recently asked mine and came home with 17 pounds. thats about 1 year accumulation from a one doc shop!

any 'sheet' lead you can find is dead soft lead, little impuritys and no intentional alloying. most 'cast' lead has some alloys added to improve flow/filling the mold, particularly old industrial (cast) pipe such as chemical-related plants formerly used (mostly replaced with S/S now)
lead 'goosenecks' being removed from residencys are soft lead also, they were once used in nearly every home as a hook-up to the public supply lines due to the flexibility and corrosion resistance. and the commode drops/traps was lead but you can have my share of them! :haha:

Lead was used, with oakum, to seal the joints of Iron pipes, particularly when they were involved in the waste system of houses and businesses. Most building codes now allow PBC piping to be used in place of the old iron pipe. Chicago's plumbing union has been able to keep those changes out of its ordinances. So, you still find iron pipes used in the city for all buildings, and lead is still used in sealing the joints. The lead may be 70/30 lead/tin mix, these days. But, the old stuff was almost always pure lead. If you can dent it with your thumbnail, its pure. This is the lead that comes out of old buildings that are being demolished.

Back