• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Major wildlife activity date & time" charts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jethro224 said:
I don't see where you can change the zip code. looks interesting tho.

The simplist way is to execute the link...then when the site opens, just go up to the address bar and you'll see a 5 digit zip code in the middle of the URL...substitute your 5 digits and relaunch your browser to that new URL.

Or...execute the link, then backtrack to the Field & Stream Home page and start into it from that direction

Here's an interesting insight or question for you:

That looks a whole lot like a tide chart. It would be very interesting to compare it with the tide charts for a particular zip code.

Why?

Because in our coastal area we find timing and height of tides to be the best predictor of big game activity. And that influence extends well inland- so far inland in fact that the animals may never see an ocean.

Just a curiosity, but if I was at home rather than on the road right now, I'd be making the comparison for general interest if nothing else.

After all, the folks making up that chart came up with their info somewhere.

BrownBear said:
That looks a whole lot like a tide chart. It would be very interesting to compare it with the tide charts for a particular zip code.

Oh yes, its a Lunar chart...attempts to predict the moon cycle effect on wildlife movement

That's what I suspected. You can sure see the influence where we are, and those little pocket-sized tide books are real handy for tracking it.

My chart works like this.
If the wind is from the east, I go hunting.
If it is a full moon, I go hunting.
If it is too windy, I go hunting.
If it is raining, I go hunting.
If it is too cold, I go hunting.
All of the above are common excuses that people have told me, Why they didn't go hunting today.
If I am off work, I go hunting.
It wouldn't matter if some chart said it was the worst hunting day of the year. It only takes one deer or one turkey in the right place at the right time. When in doubt, GO HUNTING.

PJC

oh yeah, came right up when I typed my ZIP in.
things gonna be hopping next few morns and eves, with peak the 19th.
have to be out of town this eve, give her a go 18th and 19th.

PJC said:
All of the above are common excuses that people have told me, Why they didn't go hunting today.
It wouldn't matter if some chart said it was the worst hunting day of the year. It only takes one deer or one turkey in the right place at the right time. When in doubt, GO HUNTING.

PJC

That sums it up for me. Between work and other obligations, I never seem to get enough days in the field to satisfy my urge to hunt. It doesn't help that I love to chase anything and everything including upland birds, big game, and waterfowl.

PJC said:

PJC

You got that exactly right! :thumbsup:

You have to be in the woods to get something!
Too many people don't put in enough time to be successful & then come up with all the excuses why the hunting wasn't any good. :shake:

I have to say, I really never paid much attention to these "Best days to hunt" chart thingys. I just go out and hunt unless the weather is to bad and prevents me or I'm to sick to go.

Guys...guys...come on...as I said in my post "this might be of interest"...

I hunt whenever and as often as I can...but since my experience last Thursday I decided to start paying more attention to these things to see if I could witness a pattern that matched the lunar charts.

And so far I can say the following...whether or not it had anything to do with lunar effects...and that is the last 3 times I've gone out in the afternoons, instead of slipping in an hour or so before dark, I've gone in at noon-1:00pm, and the woods were completely quiet, nothing stirring for a couple hours.

Then as if somebody flipped a switch...between 2:30 and 3:00pm...just like the chart said was supposed to happen...the woods have come alive with wildlife...all of a sudden chickadees, cardinals, and crows could be heard, turkeys appear scratching along, squirrels come out and start foraging around, deer start moving, etc.

Interesting stuff...might all be coincidence but by the end of the season it'll be interesting to reflect back on any trends that I might have noticed

My buddy has a GPS with that information in it. Two years ago, we kept track of the major activity times, just for fun (we were out hunting all day anyway)it was amazing how accurate the charts were. We joked about it, saying "what time does the GPS say we should get up tomorrow?". I think there is something to it but good 'ol persistence is what has worked best for me over the years. Thanks Roundball.
Idaho PRB

I think testosterone levels trump lunar charts...didn't see a hair.
It couldn't have been the freezing temps;

It probably wasn't even the 21 mph winds that had the whole woodlot in motion;

But for sure it was because deer here have disappered for a week like they always do, makin' whoopee with the ladies deep in the thickets and pine regrowth plantations.

They should start coming out looking for the next one in a couple more days...regardless of what the moon is doing :grin:

roundball said:
It probably wasn't even the 21 mph winds that had the whole woodlot in motion;

With our deer wind is the biggest factor to watch out for, rut or not. They really don't like it with the extra noise and motion all around them. They dive into the thick stuff when the wind gets above 15 or so, whoopie making or not.

High winds destroy a deer's primary defense tools-- his ears. Because a deer's eyes are located at the side of the skull, its not capable of using them for binocular vision. It can't measure depth or distance well. But it can focus those ears to hear movement, when the winds are not so strong they over powder sounds of other animals, and people.

If its windy out, you have to kick them out of their day beds to get a shot at them. Their day beds are in a different location than their night time beds. Daybeds are chosen to taken advantage of any warmth a deer can get from the sun. Look for small hills or ravines with South facing slopes. At night, deer using their ears and nose to detect movement. They often find flat, high areas, rather than the cold bottoms of ravines for sleeping, provided the night bed is where both sound and wind will alert the deer of any predators coming. The night bedding area will also have several different escape routes, or trails.

Here on the flats, I have found deer sleeping during the day in a bed they have made in the thickest, stickiest, brush in the woods, but always where some sunlight shines down on them during the day. There are NO trails into those thickets, as the big bucks merely jump in and out of them.

Back