• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making a knife handle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

restever99

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 1"wide 1/8"thick piece of mild flatstock I ground into a patch knife. I am very happy with the shape but I cannot figure out for the life of me how to put a handle on it. It's got a full tang and I already drilled some rivet holes on the tang. I'd like to use a piece of olive or cherry for the handle. I'm assuming I sandwich the tang between two pieces of wood then add rivets and sand into shape. My problem is the wood keeps cracking or doesn't line up and I've tried everything I can think of to stop it. I feel silly asking about this but I haven't made a knife before.

can anyone give me any advice or can anyone show me a general "how to" on putting a handle on a blade?

thanks a bunch!

If you are going to put slabs on a full tang with pre-existing holes in the tang, you first use the tang as a "template", or guide to mark and drill the hole through ONE of the two slabs. If you drill more than one hole, then put a pin in the first hole in the tang you drill and the corresponding hole in the slab. That will orient the slab's hole with the hole in the tang, while you drill the next hole.

Once you have the holes drilled into the one slab for all the holes in your tang you are going to use, there are a couple of ways to "match up" the other slab.

One, if you are careful, you can simply repeat the same process used to drill the holes in the first slab. Just turn the knife blade and tang over and clamp it to the slab to drill the holes in the second slab. OR, you can clamp both slabs to the tang, using that set of pins, to center the holes in the first slab, and use the hole in the slab as your drill guide to drill through the hole in the tang an on into the second slab. Again, when you complete one hole, put a temoporary pin through the hole to make sure that the two slabs remain aligned before you take the other pin(s) out of the tang to drill those holes.

When all the holes are drill, remove burrs on the outside of the slabs, and chamfer the hole with a chamfering bit( or countersink), for your rivets.

Don't try to hammer those rivets down in ONE BLOW. That is how you crack the slabs.

Lots of little blows will close the rivets, assuming the length of the rivets are correct.

I put brass pins in my first handle, and carefully peened over the ends to hold walnut slabs. Within the year, the walnut had dried out, and shrunk enough to allow the slabs to rattle, and the hilt to rattle two. That lead to my second rebuild of that knife, with no more success.

Finally, 2 years later, I ground the tang down to half its width, then cut leather pieces to fit down on the tang and cover the entire tang. An end cap was made from a piece of scrap steel, drilled and tapped, and screwed down onto a matching stud I filed into the end of the tang.

I used Elmer's glue between the layers of leather, pounded the layers down tight as each piece of leather was worked down the tang, and then added another piece of leather, so that I was Barely able to begin to catch the thread with my pommel to turn it down. I turned the pommel down using Vise Grip pliers, holding the knife blade in my bench vise. Boy, did the glue squirt out of those pieces of leather. The next day I used rasps, and coarse files, then fine files, and sand paper, to shape the leather handle to something we now call " ergodynamic". This was back in 1964, and the word did not exist, yet.

I still have the knife. I keep it because it reminds me of all my mistakes, so I don't repeat them making other knives. There are still a host of other mistakes for me to make with knives, so I am not too worried about "being perfect". Hah! :rotf: :shocked2: :grin: :thumbsup:

On your next knife, don't drill the holes in the tang before you drill the holes through the handle, whatever it is. Then you can use the holes in the handle as drill guides to at least mark the exact location on the tang for the corresponding holes in that steel.

If your tang is made from laminated steels, or very hardened steel, you can heat up the tang with an ordinary Propane torch to red hot, and drill the holes while the tang is red hot. Just clamp the blade in the BARE jaws of your bench vise. The Vise will become a heat sink, to keep the heat applied to the tang from heating up the hardened, and tempered blade. Drilling through red hot steel is like drilling through balsa wood. :thumbsup: Oh, put a good tap oil on the flutes of your drill bit to keep the bit cool while drilling the red hot steel.

V-man forgot to mention that a knife blade isn't made of mild steel. Find yourself a better piece of steel.

Sounds great! I'm going to give it a try. As for the mild steel, I'm aware real knifeblades aren't made of that. It was a slow day at work and that's what I had laying around the shop.

fitter said:
V-man forgot to mention that a knife blade isn't made of mild steel. Find yourself a better piece of steel.
True, BUT that wasn't the question....

Here is a lil tutorial for ya:

First, your wood is going to crack unless you are careful with the pins & holes, or you use a real good tough close grained wood. (Hickory works good & maple) Cherry will crack if you force the pins in the holes. But since this is made from mild steel, we will assume this is to learn with anyway.

1: Cut & sand the front edge of the wood at the bolster(that is the part up next to the blade) & get 2 slabs of wood even, same size, etc & just slightly larger than the handle you have marked off on the blade blank. All the holes drilled in the handle part of the blank need to be uniform, spaced neatly & evenly, all the same size, and a size that relates to the pin stock you will use.

2: Crosshatch sand the handle part of the blade with some coarse paper. This opens the pores of the metal for epoxy to adhere. Make sure the edge of the knife is dull, take electrical tape & tape the blade up to the handle part.

3: Get some clear Devcon 2000 Epoxy (30 min) and
mix & put on the steel, lay 1 slab on the blank & clamp it on both ends & in the middle. Wipe up the excess glue. Let sit 24 hrs.

4: Remove clamps & go to belt sander & sand glue off slab & of knife blank that excess glue ran out on. Take your pin sized drill & drill the handle holes from the blank down thru the slab on a drill press, using the predrilled holes in the blade for the drill guide. Insure you have wood under the slab so it doesn't chip out on the other side of the slab.

5: Now glue the other slab on & insure the slabs are even, clamp as before, sand as before, redrill holes as before, let sit 24 hrs.

6: Take your pin stock & put it in the drill press & sand it with some 220 paper as you spin it. This puts some lil microgrooves in it for the glue to adhere to it.

7: Cut the pins stock into pins about 3/16" longer than ya need & point one end.

8: Take some thin to med super glue (hobby shop) and put a drop or two in each hole, immediately insert pin & drive in with hammer & barely expose each end of pin. DO NOT Stop once ya start inserting pin as it will freeze halfway & then you have a problem. Install all pins & let sit for 2-3 hrs.

9: Sand off or file off all pins flat to the slab. Take knife to belt sander & rough the top & bottom of the handle slabs down to the steel at top & bottom & hilt. Now start shaping the handle & rough it out as well. Be Careful as not to get the pins hot as they get hot EASY on a belt sander & they will burn the glue or wood, if they do get them too hot.

10: File the handle to get the coarse sander marks out, sand it, stain it if desirable, seal & finish it with Permalyn or Tru-Oil. The finder you sand it the better the finish will look.

Then all ya have to do is remove the tape & sharpen the blade & you have a knife.

Personally, I would get a better piece of steel as this way even if the first one is not too sporty looking, it is usable as it is good steel. And you can easily heat treat a piece of 1095 steel with a torch & pan of motor oil or Canola oil. 1/8" piece of 1095 steel is cheap & makes a good knife & easy to work with.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help! Defintily going to try on my next blade.

While trying to make a wooden handle for this one, I discovered the blade was perfectly weighted for a throwing knife so I just put some leather on the tang with some epoxy and tapped some brass into the holes to give it a nice look. I'll post a picture when I sharpen it up and get it home.

The best throwing knife I ever made had no handle material on it, it was all steel. Double edge dagger style is easier to throw as it is always balanced regardless of the side you hold to throw. And it should not be sharpened except about 2" of the tip back, and then not real sharp. (IMHO) This way you can easily adjust for the distance & never cut yourself.

If you plan on making more than 1, or 2, Texas Knifemakers Supply is a bit on the high priced side. You can buy 1080 from Admiral Steel a good bit cheaper in various lengths. Chances are thats where TKS gets theirs. Get 1084 if it is available. 1084 is the highest carbon simple steel that can still be easily heat treated by simple methods.

Admiral Steel is currently having a box sale on their hot rolled 1084 barstocks. $7 for a 60" bar, plus shipping. It won't be completely annealed, but that shouldn't matter if you plan to forge it. If you plan to do stock removal you may need to anneal it down a little more so you can drill and cut more easily.

JMan said:
That's about where I am at right now. No handle it is then!
Check regulations where you will be throwing your knife, some places require the handle to be thicker than the blade. If so, you can either stitch some leather around it or wrap it with a leather thong/strip.

You could also soak some rawhide, stretch it over the tang and stitch, then let it dry and harden up.

Thanks guys! I'm moving to Utah in two weeks, so as soon as I get my shop set back up I'll get to work and start on a good knife!

Back