• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making camp coffee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Hand

Cannon
Reaction score
In response to a query by Trench in the "Winter Scout" thread...

First of all, make sure you have good coffee, preferably fresh-ground or freshly roasted. While I have drunk lots of Folgers and the like, it is not what you want to use. Save it for use at home and splurge for the woods.

Get your water boiling and add a generous amount of grounds (remove from the heat for this as it tends to foam over) and replace on the fire to simmer. When (most of) the grounds seem to have sunk, remove from the fire and trickle cold water onto the surface of the coffee (this drops the grounds to the bottom). Enjoy.

Try not to BOIL the coffee, as this will tend to make the coffee bitter.

Thanks for the tip! Of all the things you can cook around the fire, I deffinitely need to get this one right. :thumbsup:

Trench,
The next step is learning how roast green coffee beans over a campfire for that fresh-roasted full, robust flavor....

Black Hand said:
Try not to BOIL the coffee, as this will tend to make the coffee bitter.
You and I make the same coffee, Black Hand, except I don't put it back on the fire after adding the coffee. I just stir it a bit to sink the floating coffee and then let it steep off the fire for 10 minutes or so.

I was like Trench when I first started making coffee in camp, couldn't get it just right. Then I figured out I wasn't putting enough coffee in it, it was too weak. My coffee was like that described by a German officer in the Rev War, Hessian Capt. Philipp Waldeck, who was commenting on having to drink tea in social situations:

"We drink it, however, as a courtesy to the society in which we find ourselves, or for fear that we will be served coffee, which the Americans make in a strange way. They only color the water brown."

Spence

I follow the directions as stated by the Mess regulations of 1860. Bring 3/4 pot of water to a boil. Remove pot and using a small tin cup measure 2/3 cup of coffee grounds and add to coffee pot. Add 1 small tin cup of cold water to settle grounds to bottom of pot. Return pot fire to bring to a slow rolling boil and wait for 5 additional minutes. Remove from fire and add 1/2 small tin cup of cold water to settle ground. Adjust tripod chain so coffee pot will keep coffee warm but will not boil. Serve as is or have availible cones of sugar and milk.

Another little trick that works if you just want a cup or two in the morning or evening. Pulverize the grounds into a power or espresso type grind. Put the desired amount depending upon your taste in the bottom of a cup or corn boiler etc. Pour in boiling water and let sit until cool enough to drink. If you sip it slow the grounds settle very heavily on the bottom much like silt in a pond and you won't drink it in. It works really well.

If you are really bent about the idea of the grounds in the cup you can always filter it with a piece of cloth or similar. It makes one heck good cup of coffee that doesn't taste burnt like the stuff that's left simmering over a campfire. But then again I'm a coffee snob.

Celt5494 said:
If you are really bent about the idea of the grounds in the cup you can always filter it with a piece of cloth or similar.

While not in the least bit PC, we always use the Maxwell House coffee pods...put three in our coffee pot full of water and put it on the fire. No messing with grounds or getting that nice gritty last sip.

Half an eggshell will take out out the bitter tang associated with coffee.

Josh

It is best to pay more ($) for your coffee. The Coffee beans when picked are dark in colored, This is the ripe bean. The white bean are the unripe coffee beans and they are what make the coffee bitter. Many years back almost all the white beans were taken out of the coffee before they were roasted and the coffee was good!

Back in the late 60’s or early 70’s the coffee Companies started to leave the white coffee beans in coffee. [$$$] Now if you want coffee with out the white bean you got to pay more for it. (It’s all about the money boys.)

If you buy the coffee bean and grind it yourself, go through the bag and count the light colored [white] beans. Take them out of your bag.

I buy Paul Newman’s coffee, His coffee has the leas amount of white beans in the bag. And because most of our coffee comes from South America and Paul Newman Company gives the workers a fair salary and insurants. [It was started and run by his Daughter]

As for me, after the coffee is drank I like to take the coffee grounds and put a spoon full between my check and gum. I have read that this was a common practice for solders on the march in the Civil War. I like it! :v

Trench,
Here is a recipe for 'Cowboy Coffee'

Get pot, fill with coffee beans to about 1/3 full.
add water to cover beans.
heat for half hour.
Take horse shoe place on top of beans.
If horseshoe sinks, add more beans. finish cooking.

Drink and enjoy. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(Do not shoot after this as to the extreme amount of caffeine) :rot: :rotf: :rotf:
Of course running the Marathon would work!!!

Cheers, DonK

Just wondering....

how do ya'll like drinking coffee out of tin or probably metal cups ?

Burns your lips don't it.

I like my coffee piping hot but it's a real thriller sneaking up to the rim of that cup.

Lot's of times you're going to get burned !

Hee, Hee, Hee ........Happy New Year friends.

I use a thrown pottery cup. Not as hot on the lips. I save MY hot lips for me wife!!!! :rotf: :rotf:
(or to kiss my favourite rifle) :hatsoff:

I've jest gotten use ta drinking from a tin boiler and when I refill it, its to warm up what I didn't drink the 1st time.

Slippyfoote said:
Just wondering....

how do ya'll like drinking coffee out of tin or probably metal cups ?

Burns your lips don't it.

I like my coffee piping hot but it's a real thriller sneaking up to the rim of that cup.

Lot's of times you're going to get burned !

Hee, Hee, Hee ........Happy New Year friends.

The easiest way I've found to deal with this problem is to cool the coffee by adding RUM!

One thing i could never really get right was coffee. i usually end up chewing the grounds! Thanks for the tips though. Nice and cold out now, time to experiment!

msuspartandon said:
But Rum should be drunk WITHOUT anything, right??? :confused: At least spiced rum.........MMMmmmmm :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Absolutely!

Back