• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Malcolm Old Style Scopes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmww

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Malcolm 3/4" scopes? I've been toying with the idea of mounting one for some long range shooting on my heavy barreled Underhammer. Varmits and Antelopes come to mine.

Malcolm Scope

Thats the new one by the people that made the ART scope's and is a "fair " copy of older ones, Ive got both the brass,long and short one's and a Malcom and the Malcom is more but ck out the way it is set up - way ahead of the brass ones and at any range you can see as good as with any scope something the brass ones dont do, it also doesnt have to have holes drilled all over the place. the 1 part brass scope looks better, Malcom works tons better....so :confused: Id get another Malcom if I could even at 200 more.(if I needed another scope) Fred :hatsoff:

YOu can also consider using a " Tube " sight, which consists of a metal tube, usually the length of the barrel, with wires run through holes drilled in the tube to creat a crosshair. No lens, and no magnification. But it does help very old eyes continue to focus and shoot weil.

Well the idea of that tube is nice. Is there som information about Malcolm Long Rifle Scope ?? I would like to know what lensess are inside or something. Wondering, to make me a Copy of Malcolm scope, did someone made one yet ??

greetings... I have quite a bit of experience with the montana vintage arms 3/4 inch dia. scope and mounts. superior in every respect although pretty pricey. I have 2 of the 24 inch scopes. one is on my mid-range/b.p. ctg. silhouette rifle [200-300-600 yds.] and the other is on my long range rifle [800-900-1000 yds] they offer several styles of reticles. both of mine are the plain old crosshair style. the scope mounts on mine will allow you to make adjustments as fine as 1/3 of a minute of angle. get an extra set of scope blocks and you can switch your scope and mounts to another rifle in about 1 minute. by the way, they only offer them in 6 power. cheers

Great info thanx, well i know that it was x6 and it's ok. Im thinking what lenses should I use to get the x6 in this kind of scope I would like to made.

gmww said:
Anyone have experience with the Malcolm 3/4" scopes? I've been toying with the idea of mounting one for some long range shooting on my heavy barreled Underhammer. Varmits and Antelopes come to mine.

Malcolm Scope

Don't know who makes them.
You can also check Montana Vintage Arms. I know their stuff is good. There are others as well that cater to the BPCR trade.

Dan

The Malcolm scopes from Leatherwood are made in the PRC. I bought one last year for my Sharps. The optical quality was good, very clear and sharp, the mounts however were another story. I choose to cut my losses and sold the scope to a buddy who had other plans for mounting it and bought a rig from MVA. Your results may vary but that is my experience with the Leatherwood Malcolm scope.

Hawkeye

I have 4 Leatherwood Malcolms: one of the long scopes which I just got (it came with a rifle and I've not used it yet), two 3X, 17" scopes and one 6X, 18" scope. The optics are very good. As noted, the mounts are not precision. However, the intended purpose/use for the scope comes into play. My 3 short Malcolms are all mounted on black powder cartrige rifles used for hunting. The mounts were sufficiently precise to allow for easy sighting in and they have held their zero. The scopes have not fogged up while hunting in the rain. I have been very happy with them.

I also have an MVA scope used for black powder cartridge sihouettes. It is far and away a better rig, especially the mounts. But this sport demands much precision.

For hunting and/or general shooting with a muzzleloader, the Chinese Malcolms are perfectly adequate. I've had absolutely no problems with them and the mounts have more than sufficient adjustment for normal ML ranges with roundball.

Note that the short Malcolms use a Unertl style mounting system whereas the long scope uses a Malcolm style mount. Either one will work for muzzleloaders.

Back