• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked more on the Southern Mountain Shot bag. I need to fabricate the powder horn straps. Trim the bag gusset and attach the strap I have completed. Here are a couple photos of the bag.
Shot Bag.jpg
Shot Bag .2.jpg

Finished patch box inletting. Have to make and install the PB release. I hate inletting patch boxes. What a pain!!!
Wonderful work @Norman Brooks! When the stock is finally finished, force some suitable coloured stick wax into the small deficient areas and they will totally disappear - I use that trick on all my older stuff where gaps open up a bit. You have more patience than me! Again, nicely done.

Pete

I just got done processing this X Ray room counter weight. I thought it was gonna collapse my burner stand. But it held up great and I still have all my skin. The ole back may be sore tomorrow though.
KIMG0918.jpg
How many pounds do you think you ended up with?

IT looks good like it is.

Today, I figured out that it is a US Historical Society Andrew Jackson Commemorative Silver Edition circa 1985. In good condition they trade for okay money, but for what I paid and just to make ot a shooter, I think I did okay, unless someone here knows something different.

I’m just waiting for the delivery and scratching my head thinking I should temper my impulsive side. :)

How many pounds do you think you ended up with?
I had a few pieces of sheet lead to go in the pot as well. I cast ingots into a cast iron corn cob shaped corn bread pan. Each one of those is a little over a pound to almost two pounds, depending on how full you fill each one. I had 90 corn cob ingots when done. So I probably have over 100 lbs.

View attachment 343726
had been on the range with the bow ;-)
Great to see arrows , they are ancient things, so should be allowed. I get good groups at 40 yards with a Hoyt ionex bow , illegal to hunt with them in uk , but France . 20 mins across the channel. Thing is they are a silent killer, very discreet. Ha ha I find cheap grp Chinese arrows the best, nice and heavy. Made flint ones with garden rose wood shafts , enjoy making them , and they are super sharp flint points . I got expensive carbon ones but gave no interest in them , clubs won’t let me use my compound .

Attachments

• 2F2B89D6-ECF2-46B6-939D-89FA8367B87F.jpeg
    2F2B89D6-ECF2-46B6-939D-89FA8367B87F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Tried shooting buck 'n ball today for first time, using my .69 cal smoothbore Miroku Charleville. Powder load was 65 gr 2F Swiss, balls were .675 (unpatched) and shot was .32 cal 0.310, paper wadded between powder, ball and shot, three shot per ball, except one I did with four. Three .32 cal buck shot lays nicely flat when wadded in the bore, four is a little cramped. I might in future repeat test with .30 cal buckshot so I can get four to nestle together nicely when wadded in the bore. Four loads shot standing offhand at seven paces just to see dispersion of shot on target cardboard measuring about 21x25:
IMG_0126.JPG

Two of the loads were ball on top and two loads were shot on top. I didn't really see any difference, though only two loads apiece and at that close distance no conclusions can be drawn.

I only took six balls to the range, so had only two more loads to shoot at 25 yds (same size target but no pic here) and out of the six shot loaded, only five hit the target.

Fun shooting, interesting learning experience, though I can't see any transference here to anything I want to do shooting-wise.

Last edited:
Finished casting rifle bullets for an Enfield and a Mosin, and 30-30, to get the pot emptied and clean. There was a zinc contamination that came from painted tire weights. It cast good bullets for those rifles. But needed to get it cleared. Let the last 5lbs flow into ingot molds. I have over 100 lbs of xray lead, roofing sheet lead, and fishing weights 1lb+ to melt. Then I'm ready to cast .375, .490, and .530 balls.
Then on to sorting tire weights again. I am going to be way more picky. I have 1400 lbs of tire weights to sort. I'm sure half is waste metal.

Great to see arrows , they are ancient things, so should be allowed. I get good groups at 40 yards with a Hoyt ionex bow , illegal to hunt with them in uk , but France . 20 mins across the channel. Thing is they are a silent killer, very discreet. Ha ha I find cheap grp Chinese arrows the best, nice and heavy. Made flint ones with garden rose wood shafts , enjoy making them , and they are super sharp flint points . I got expensive carbon ones but gave no interest in them , clubs won’t let me use my compound .
on our range there is it no problem to shot all kinds of bows but the range is limited to 90m, all our older shooters shot compund for a special dicipline.

As planned, the wife and I stopped in Lodi Ohio on our way to the USSVI (submarine veterans convention) in Cincinnati. Spent about 2.5 hours wandering around and visiting with the good folks there. Really an awesome store, glad we made time on our trip to stop there.

As planned, the wife and I stopped in Lodi Ohio on our way to the USSVI (submarine veterans convention) in Cincinnati. Spent about 2.5 hours wandering around and visiting with the good folks there. Really an awesome store, glad we made time on our trip to stop there.
They are excellent people!!

Back