• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Manton preccusion shotgun id

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a number of old guns left from a family member but have no idea if they are worth anything or not. I’m not sure how to identify this one

Attachments

• IMG_0884.jpeg
    IMG_0884.jpeg
    4.6 MB
  • IMG_0885.jpeg
    IMG_0885.jpeg
    3.9 MB
  • IMG_0886.jpeg
    IMG_0886.jpeg
    3.8 MB
So I think that because there are only the two stamps from the Birmingham City Proofing House, and no digits indicating the bore, that this shotgun may date as old as 1855 or earlier. The stamp "V*P" may be the inspector's mark as I cannot find it among the official British marks.

LD

So I think that because there are only the two stamps from the Birmingham City Proofing House, and no digits indicating the bore, that this shotgun may date as old as 1855 or earlier. The stamp "V*P" may be the inspector's mark as I cannot find it among the official British marks.

LD
So what does that mean? Is it a maton or another manufacturer, is it worth anything or is it just a keep sake? Thanks for the reply I have no idea about it.

When at The Rifle Shoppe I was able to handle a Manton flintlock pistol. Jesse told me you should remove the lock and barrel and see the fine inletting, He uses it as one way to determine an original vs a copy. I don't recall which name should be on the lock. He said it's like a Piccaso; many more replicas than originals. I don't think the quality is there on your specimen. The one I was fortunate to examine had the lock still fit extremely tight, even for a 200 year old pistol. And the lock was much finer quality.
Good luck.

If is IS A Manton, then it has had a hard life, that's for sure, with vice-jaw marks on the barrel and chips out of the stock. However, the crown, sceptres and letters V [view] and P [proof] are the Birmingham proof marks between 1813 and August 1914, and look kosher to me.

If is IS A Manton, then it has had a hard life, that's for sure, with vice-jaw marks on the barrel and chips out of the stock. However, the crown, sceptres and letters V [view] and P [proof] are the Birmingham proof marks between 1813 and August 1914, and look kosher to me.
So is there another way to know for sure? I have a couple of flint lock pistols and half dozen other rifles that I got but have no idea where to sell or even if they’re worth anything. I’m into the modern weapons and have no desire to keep these relics. I appreciate all the help!

Hi,
It is not a Manton just an inexpensive knock off from the 1850s or later. The barrels are from Birmingham. Manton's name was used illicitly a lot for marketing. None of the Manton family ever signed the locks with lettering such as that and the engraving is very crude and unlike any real Manton guns. Thousands of these guns still exist and if the bore is good and the gun shootable it may be worth $300-$400.

dave

I agree with Post #6 it is a knock off. Think Hardware store gun. Also, a lot of barrels where proofed in England and Belgium as well and shipped here to be completed and sold. Most where cheap guns of decent quality to be used heading west. I own several and still hunt with them.

Hi,
It is not a Manton just an inexpensive knock off from the 1850s or later. The barrels are from Birmingham. Manton's name was used illicitly a lot for marketing. None of the Manton family ever signed the locks with lettering such as that and the engraving is very crude and unlike any real Manton guns. Thousands of these guns still exist and if the bore is good and the gun shootable it may be worth $300-$400.

dave
Thanks Dave, much appreciated. Now where is the place to try and sell it?

First you want it examined to determine IF it may be fired, so somebody can use it, or if it's not shootable, so worth much less, and belongs on a wall at the Cracker Barrel. ;)

LD
I did take it to a gunsmith and he said he didn’t see any issues with it and it seemed to function properly and would be fine to shoot, but he knew nothing else about the gun make or value.

I did take it to a gunsmith and he said he didn’t see any issues with it and it seemed to function properly and would be fine to shoot, but he knew nothing else about the gun make or value.
If he had no knowledge as to a Manton, then he knows NOTHING about muzzleloaders, IMHO.
That's equivalent to a mechanic saying he knows nothing about Porche brand cars. The mechanic may not know how to repair one, but should be familiar with the brand.

Find a muzzleloading club nearby. Only handling, examining, and a little time spent with the gun will tell a knowledge muzzleloader what you have.
I agree with @dave_person. At its best a $400 gun.

If he had no knowledge as to a Manton, then he knows NOTHING about muzzleloaders.
That's equivalent to a mechanic saying he knows nothing about Porche brand cars. The mechanic may not know how to repair one, but should be familiar with the brand.

Find a muzzleloading club nearby. Only handling, examining, and a little time spent with the gun will tell a knowledge muzzleloader what you have.
I agree with @dave_person. At its best a $400 gun.
Exactly why I sought out this forum and all the knowledge here. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you wish to sell an item, please use our classified section. Members need to be relatively active with some time under their belt here to post in classifieds. This prevents other members from being Scammed..unfortunately, it happens.

So you stated that you are into modern guns. Here is a question for you: do you think there is any chance that you might want to try our type of shooting at some point in the future? If so, if these are shootable, you might end up learning and enjoying our way of life with these. Your choice, just thought I would try to plant a seed. Should you want to sell there is a good classified section here in the forum. And I've moved many a gun on GunBroker. But black powder is fun and addictive. Once you go down this rabbit hole you might find yourself being much more self sufficient. And many of us here would be glad to facilitate that. Good luck with whatever path you choose.

So you stated that you are into modern guns. Here is a question for you: do you think there is any chance that you might want to try our type of shooting at some point in the future? If so, if these are shootable, you might end up learning and enjoying our way of life with these. Your choice, just thought I would try to plant a seed. Should you want to sell there is a good classified section here in the forum. And I've moved many a gun on GunBroker. But black powder is fun and addictive. Once you go down this rabbit hole you might find yourself being much more self sufficient. And many of us here would be glad to facilitate that. Good luck with whatever path you choose.
I appreciate the seed but I’m just not interested in these, I spend to much time with my others, I shoot atleast 800 rds a week with my pistols.

Back