• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maple vs. Walnut for SxS shotgun stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on the amount of work needed for a S/S shotgun, I would use the best stick of English walnut I could get. That is what I did when I build mine. Maple would look weird. American black walnut is more porous than English. Good dense English is very strong and cuts smoothly. The area under the breech is pretty thin. I would not risk using anything less.

I always go with the stock that has a good balance of hardness and toughness as well as not being excessively heavy so that most of the guns weight is in the barrel, lock / receiver.

Walnut tends to always meet these expectations with some cuts of maple too. Cherry is good also.

Heavier grades of maple i tend to shy away from.

I always go with the stock that has a good balance of hardness and toughness as well as not being excessively heavy so that most of the guns weight is in the barrel, lock / receiver.

Walnut tends to always meet these expectations with some cuts of maple too. Cherry is good also.

Heavier grades of maple i tend to shy away from.
Weight is always an indicator of hardness. You want the hardest piece of wood available.

English walnut is the best for this sort of thing
Diss agree the french is better ???? . EM Reilly went over to better quality french walnut in 1848 don’t know why it’s different unless the trees are a different strain or go bigger Or french walnut was more plentiful. Photo cape rifle 1853 french walnut at a guess by EM Reilly junior Today the best walnut seems to be coming from Turkey

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB
One point to make is what wood works best for finishing talents.

Not everyone is good at finishing wood …. Supplies, understanding grain patterns and also patience in allowing you project to dry. Walnut is what I work with most often.

Maple is a little tricky at times .. cherry finishes wonderfully

I will never touch a beech or teak stock again

At the risk of pounding on the obvious, walnut is not like wheat. You do not grow a useable tree in a season. And, because of it's slow growth and deeper roots, a tree is more a product of its location and terrain than is, for example, wheat.

Latest posts

Back