• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlock pan & cover

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is one made and fitted just with hand tools by a friend in Finland.
Excellent work!.
Antti did a fantastic job making this musket.
pan_positioning.jpg
pan_grooving_1.jpg
pan_dovetailed_4.jpg
pan_dovetailed_3.jpg

Antti did every part like the original.

With this not being on a black powder forum, Can I post a link?

Billy,
Some very early locks were made with integral pans as well.
Then hey went out of use for a hundred years pretty well.

One I made, (Snapping) I soldered the pan on as Billy says. Soft solder and never any bothers.
Soft solder if done clean is Very strong.View attachment 268979
Howdy! How did you make the flash pan depression? Is that drilled out with some sort of rounded drill bit? Was trying to figure this one out on my own but I am just not sure!!

Historically, I wonder if the pan was heated and then "stamped" with a tool to create a shallow depression?
I wondered that too. I have a 1/2” ball end mill on order and I’m gonna see what that looks like on a mild steel 3/8” plate. Self teaching this stuff isn’t the easiest way but it’s rather fun trying to sort out all the various issues.

I wondered that too. I have a 1/2” ball end mill on order and I’m gonna see what that looks like on a mild steel 3/8” plate. Self teaching this stuff isn’t the easiest way but it’s rather fun trying to sort out all the various issues.
Luckily, there are a few "masters" around that can be helpful. Unfortunately @Pukka Bundook is the busiest with his real life.

Latest posts

Back