• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

October 30 is National Candy Corn Day!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20241028_155755.jpg

In 1984 the owner of this rifle was tragically killed in a chain saw accident. He was my brother in law, 30 years old. He left a wife and 3 kids, one a daughter 6 months old. He and I talked guns all the time and developed an interest in muzzleloaders during the Bi Centennial. Fast forward to last Saturday, his middle son asked if I could check the rifle out. It has not been fired since his death. I took it home, made sure it was unloaded, then took it to the range today.
I'm pretty sure it was a kit gun, it has no markings on the side plate lock or barrel-at least what I can see w/o pulling the barrel.
It appears to be .36 caliber. I had some .350 balls I purchased a few years ago for another gun. I used 3F powder-35 grains.
It is decidely muzzle heavy. I imagine the mfg of the barrels made all the blanks the same diameter, then drilled them for the calibers.
It was a sweet shooter. This is the target for the challenge. Off hand.
20241028_155755.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 358605
Here is the 3 shot group rested. The nephew wants to shoot this rifle with his brother when we have our annual gun range trip on Thanksgiving. Neither of the men is a shooter.
Time to get them interested! I have always found that anyone who has any interest in firearms always have a big smile on their face after shooting ML for the first time!

Back