• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

max range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am very new to the sport of muzleloader shooting/hunting.I would like to know the max distance for shooting both PRB and all lead bullets such as a maxi ball or buffalo bullet.I am planning to build a percussion rifle but would like to know this info before I decide on a style. Thanks for entertaining my question.
Nathan B.

Welcome!

Unless you are looking at a creedmore peep sight or optics, about 100 yards is going to be your max range regardless of what you shoot. Beyond that with iron sights your shot placement is not going to be that precise. It takes a great deal of practice with the right loads to be accurate beyond 100 yards with open sights.

If you were looking for a rifle that would shoot both PRB and conical well then you will be into a comprimise rifling twist of say 1:48 for a 50/54 cal. This should be quite accurate out to 100 yards with a little farther depending on the conical.

With a PRB, they start runing low on energy past 100 yards. I say 100 yards it about the limit on PRB. Conical's can be tossed a bit farther out to say 125-150 yards with a faster twist barrel of say 1:28-38.

For farther conical shooting, you would go with faster twist rifling, say 1:20-28 you can be accurate out to 500+ yards with long range sights.

Also, if you sight compensate correctly you can toss PRB's out to 200+ yards for gong/target shooting with slow rifling of say 1:60+.

IMHO, the "max range" of any muzzleloader regardless of projectile, is determined by the "maximum distance" you can consistantly keep all yore shots within a 6" circle (or, less)!!

I'm sure you will hear more opinions in regards to this topic!! :results:

IMHO, the "max range" of any muzzleloader regardless of projectile, is determined by the "maximum distance" you can consistantly keep all yore shots within a 6" circle (or, less)!!

I'm sure you will hear more opinions in regards to this topic!! :results:

:agree: :agree:
Mandatory in hunting situations in my view.

Target fun is a different story.

I think them fellers was tryin' to say the maximum range fer punchin' holes is paper is considerably farther than that for killin' game animals. With the latter the size of the animal has a lot to do with the range. Deer have a kill zone of about 10" in diameter. I'm shore you could fit several squirrels in that circle. :yakyak:

Back when I could SEE well my limit was 125 yards with PRB in my 54's. Now I limit myself to 75 yards with open sights. Of course where I hunt pretty much limits it to about 50 yards which is even better as far as I'm concerned. I like the 6 inch rule as we do not all shoot the same. With my aperature sights I can still reach out a long way. Taqua's advice was as well put as I've seen it. Heed it and you'll do well.

Vic

As far as you can throw it and hit a 10" circle every time without a bench, and also have a minimum of 700 ft lbs of energy remaining.

For some people that's 50 yards, for others 150 yards.

With a round ball, a .54 has 25 yards on a .50 under any condition just from inertia of the heavier ball. An individual's ability to shoot is more important. I trust either my .50 or my .54 to 100 yards, slightly farther if the skys part and an angel descends on my front sight for a perfect conditions opportunity. I much prefer 40 yards, which seems about average. That's because I hunt with the limitations of my weapon in mind. No sense sitting where I can see 300 yards, and the deer can see me from 400.

If you demand range instead of hunting skill, the conicals may be the way to go, but only because they retain energy much better due to their shape. I recommend checking out the .340 Weatherby cartridge if you really want knock-down power at long range.

I have been hunting with a long bow or self bow of my own making for the last three years. But have found my self missing out on many good times and hunts because the places they hunt are vurtually impossible to be sucesful under the conditions (day hunts- Public land hunts-drives in mostly open and heavily hunted lands) So I thought the perfect compramise would be to start hunting with a muzzleloader! Hunting skill is not a factor in my decission I would only like to be able to take advantage of any oppertunity I am given on one of these types of hunts. I am with the majority of you in thinkig that a PRB is a much cooler projectile than a bullet. I am just seeking Knowledge I do not posess.

I think if you take the suggestions above, and limit your range to 100 yards, you won't have any problem with a .50 or .54 round ball taking a deer.
IMO, there is no reason for going to a conical if your shooting with open sights, and the round balls cost a lot less.
The lower cost allows you to practice more and the practice will end up paying off on the hunt.

I have long said the archery hunter that adds a muzzleloader to his hunting will have the best of two worlds. Archery and big bore firearms. Combined, these will make the best hunting possible.

IMO If your state has a Muzzleloader season only, it's even better. There are no people who take the 1/4 mile shot at "something", and I have seen happen in the regular rifle season.
Muzzleloading shooters IMO take much greater care with their shots than cartridge shooters. Maybe that is because they know they only have one shot. Maybe it's just because their nicer people.

IMO, If your hunting in an area where the folage limits the range to 75 yards or less, a .45 cal gun can also be very effective on a deer.

I have been hunting with a long bow or self bow of my own making for the last three years.

Well then a muzzleloader will be a treat for you. I still-hunt with a 62# recurve & cedar arrows, and treat my muzzleloader like a bow with 3X or 4X the range. I can hold it ready to shoot for an almost unlimited time (as opposed to eight seconds) and it takes much, much less movement to bring it to battery on a slow moving, cautious deer. Seems like cheating compared to a traditional bow. ::

deer1.jpg

Back