• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maximum loads for 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received a 220g .456 conical mold from lee. immediately cast 64 conicals. Its a LOT more lead usage than .454 RB! I have no idea how this is going to work?? On the Lee site it was sold as a conical specifically for .44 cap and ball revolvers. I don't have any real bullet lube yet but will use bore butter untill my Lee bullet lube arives from TOTW.. plan to load with my standard 25g spout of T7 on the bench with my bench loader. How do you get them to go in the cylinder straight???
The base of that bullet should be rebated and will drop into the chamber mouth a couple tenths of an inch. It should be pretty darn straight at that point. Some people load off the gun, others use the ram on the gun with good results. This bullet can be very accurate.

Where did you aquire flat point bullets? Thanks
Bullet Design Details  Accurate Molds.png

Here’s a mold available from Accurate Molds. It’s a dandy and can be ordered for a specific revolver…

Hopefully one of the pistolero members will jump in. Just from what I read, it scares me. Just from my experience with Remington’s, with 30 grains your pushing the limit especially with a bullet. For that type of powder charge you should get a Dragoon or Walker. Also, I hope you talking about a steel frame 1858. Good luck and be safe.
I've always read that whatever volume of Black Powder fits in the cylinder, with the ball seated so as not to interfere with cylinder rotation, is OK. Seems simple.

Back