• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

May be hope yet!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to get worked up over the guys that needed the gadgets and training wheels and stuff... but then I remember why I opted for the "primitive weapons" and I just laugh..... Thinking about the old adages - "Follow the money." and "It's all about the money." Heck, look at the catalogs... All manner of camo, scent blockers, gadgets, etc.... You don't need to spend the megabuck$$$ on that stuff to be successful but you do need some woodscraft.

I'll ditto that "well said" :thumbsup:

We have a huge bass pro shop near my home and I go in there occasionally but the funny thing is that It's hard for me to find things to spend money on as far as hunting and shooting are concerned. Fishing gear is another matter, however. :) :redface:

If special ml seasons were closed across the country tomorrow, the market for in lines and the doo dads that go with them would dry up immediately. None of those gun owners will take that rifle up during the regular rifle season. :shocked2: And, neither do they take any particular enjoyment in shooting them just for fun.

There are gun owners and shooters. Shooters are always gun owners but gun owners are mostly not shooters.

marmotslayer said:
There are gun owners and shooters. Shooters are always gun owners but gun owners are mostly not shooters.

I call those folks "gun collectors"... But I've seen a few gun collectors that were damn good shooters too...

Getting upset or worrying about what one person or another does will cause one thing. That is high blood pressure.

I have succumbed to the fact that our politicians are going to do what they want. And their decisions are going to be based on politics and money. With no consequence to what is right or wrong.

So basically I have given up. I am too old to worry about it, and my blood pressure is just fine because I do not worry about it. I am just happy to be able to hunt as much as I can.

I hunt with a plethora of different weapons. And the older I get the more I enjoy the more basic weapons. So far be it for me to worry or even care what the other guys are doing. I can normally get enough field time in with my weapon of choice. And that is good enough for me. Tom.

They stopped calling the "Primative" seasons that in NY years ago.

We set the bar for ourselves and whether our neighbors chose to limit or restrict themselves is not our business. As long as I can use my weapon of choice during the regular season I am happy. For the "Special" week does it really matter what the other guy is using?

At the local trout streams we used to say a person with a bamboo fly rod was fishing for compliments. Use what makes you happy.

Hockeyref dont have to give up your doe tag when you buy a muzzleloader stamp. the game commission changed this years ago

Use any ML rifle you like, traditional or inline, scoped or not, during regular hunting season and for non-game animals year round. Have at it. I don't agree with scopes on muzzleloaders during special ML season though. And I do not agree with a previous comment that whoever complains the loudest gets their pecial season. My opinions. But remember that the anti-hunting groups are watching, some are members and even taking part in our conversations here. We don't know who they are but they're here. The bow hunters have made themselves weaker and vulnorable as a sport. The longbow and recurve crowd doesn't agree with the compound crowd and no one agrees with the crossbow crowd. It's unfair, he gets the advantage, I can't shoot as far, whaa whaa whaa. It's a constant never ending arguement. Fortunately there are a few TV shows and hosts that are spreading the idea of using different types of bows. If we push it too far and devide ourselves too much we can hurt our sport too.

bubba15301 said:
Hockeyref dont have to give up your doe tag when you buy a muzzleloader stamp. the game commission changed this years ago

Just basing that on my experience last year... they kept my envelope and said I had to wait for over counter sales... Just bought this years licenses and got the envelopes - but area I would hunt - 2c - is sold out. Still plenty left for 2a & 2b but I don't hunt that area. Last year was the first time I bought the muzzle loader locense.

I call those folks "gun collectors"... But I've seen a few gun collectors that were damn good shooters too...

Wasn't splitting the hair that finely! :)

When I talk about gun owners, I'm talking about the millions (literally) of people in this country who own one or more guns. They own them for various reasons but they do not shoot regularly or even often. Just taking the owners who possess them for hunting, the vast majority of them are not shooters. Many of the suppository owners are still working on their second box of ammo! I'm guessing that 95% or more of the in-line owners are not regular shooters of those guns. The only time those guys show up at my club (over 800 members) is in the 30 days or so prior to the ml season opener.

marmotslayer said:

Wasn't splitting the hair that finely! :)

When I talk about gun owners, I'm talking about the millions (literally) of people in this country who own one or more guns. They own them for various reasons but they do not shoot regularly or even often. Just taking the owners who possess them for hunting, the vast majority of them are not shooters. Many of the suppository owners are still working on their second box of ammo! I'm guessing that 95% or more of the in-line owners are not regular shooters of those guns. The only time those guys show up at my club (over 800 members) is in the 30 days or so prior to the ml season opener.

Ya know, at the moment I would say that I fall into the "owner" category simply because I'm sorta between the rock and the hard place. Been outa work since September of year and simply cannot afford to shoot as much as I usually do. (~6k HP\LR rifle, a couple K pistol, ~2500 trap\skeet\clays, and planned to do about 100 round balls a month when I built my GPR)... Time in the woods, the occasional range trip, a little fishing... these help keep my spirits up.

But this is really getting off topic...

Back