• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Meat packed in lard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crockett

Cannon
Reaction score
A while back someone posted the information but I can't find it. The deal was you could take either fresh meat or cooked meat and pack it in lard and it would keep. Do you have to use lard (pork fat)? or, can I get some from cut beef fat that I render? I can get a block of pork lard at the grocery store.
As I understand it- pour some lard in the bottom of a container and let it set. Put the meat on top with room around it- then pour melted lard in the container so it completely covers the sides and top.
How long does this keep the meat? I would prefer to do this with cold meat and I was thinking of doing it in small batches- enough for daily use. The idea is I could run a cold camp if I wanted- just dig out a piece of cooked beef and have that for dinner- in certain areas away from water and the ability to clean cookware- a cold camp is a better thing- at least for me. In any event, if anyone has done this please let me know the right way to do it.

The 18th centuiry vacumn pack, I suspect the only real way to know would be to do some samples and test them after various periods of time for bacteria growth the variables would be the problem in the validity of the results.

Packing meats in rendered lard if done properly preserves the meat from air thus preventing bacteria growth. The lard can go rancid I suppose but that may take quite awhile. Salted lard such as from pork can help or you can just use salted pork meat for a cold camp. Salt is one of the best preservatives around. I have no clue as to just how long meat packed in lard would last as it's not an exact science to be sure. If the meat is cooked properly or smoked then packed in lard my best guess it could last quite a long time especially if kept cool to cold. An other way to preserve your meats is to make pemmican. That stuff lasts forever and you can toss in nuts and berries with the meat which can make a pretty tasty meal once tossed in a corn boiler with some fire baked salt bread on the side.

My dad told me how his dad and mom would fry pork chops and put them in a barrel in the cellar. A layer of chops and cover with melted grease. Another layer of chops and enough melted grease to cover. Kept it up till they were out of barrel or out of chops" ( ran out of chops first every time)
This was back in 1920's -1930's.
Don't know how long they would last .
My guess is they lasted at least 6 months to a year.
Just one more thing I should have asked my dad before it was to late!

The method you describe is called "potted meat"you want to use processed lard from the store it does not require refrigeration and will last for years, You cook the meat first and let cool, melt the lard, place a layer of meat in the jar, add a layer of lard until it covers the meat, let it cool and add another layer of meat and lard until the jar is full. I have done this in both wide mouth crocks and 1 qt canning jars. the first batch i made was stored in the pantry for 8 months before i ate it, it was excellent.
I used moose meat but any kind can be used.

The meat should be cooked and packed while still hot for safety (disease) reasons. In the southern states this was done before canning and the containers were stored in the spring house in cool running water ( if you had the luxury of a spring house). Personally, with my knowledge of food saftey, science and etiology, I would not risk my health on this method. You could cheat and actually can (pressure canning)the meat in its own fat (or added fat)and then be confident of its safety. Food borne illnesses are usually very unpleasant affairs and not something to mess with.

People have been canning and preserving meat and vegatables for hundreds of years. Canning meat is safe as long as you keep everything clean. Those of us who can food and eat it always hear from city folks that its not safe.I have eaten home canned and preserved foods my entire life and have not been made sick by it. Period methods of food preservation are safe and effective but you must do it correctly.Potted meat has been a way of preservation since medevil times and is still done by country folk. Look up the recipes and methods and give it a try, if you do it correctly there is no danger. Eating jerky for 3 meals a day will get real boring after a while. good luck.

Eating jerky for 3 meals a day will get real boring after a while.

I agree- reason I was thinking of something else. Guess I'll research a bit more and give it a try after all.

I use a crock that has a fired inside surface(glazed), cook down my sausage till its done but not over cooked. Put the sausage in the crock and cover it with the belly fat lard and put it in the shed with a cover over it to keep everything out.When I want sausage, I just dig down in, get what I want, smooth the lard back over and cover it up. The sausage keeps all winter, would keep a year if kept cool, but I like my sausage and its not around too long. I'm 76, never been sick from it, and its the best sausage I ever had in my life. I also can meat the old fashioned way and you havent had beef stroganof until you used canned beef.

The Hermit

When I was a kid, a few times dad helped kill a hog, he would bring home a ton of sausage. My mother would fry sausage patties for 3 days, lard came it tin buckets, she would fill the buckets with patties and pour hot grease until the patties were covered, put the lid on the bucket and stack them up in the pantry, I dont know how long they would have lasted, it would take around 4 months for us to eat all that sausage. Me and my sister would sneak around and dig some out, THEY WERE GOOD TASTED LIKE YOU JUST COOKED THEM! I'm sure they would last a year,

Back before big generators and rural electric beef,elk,moose etc. was preserved in beef tallow sealed in jars or crocks.

Pickeled eggs with chili peppers. I had not thought of that in years. Thx :grin:

LOL.......I have eggs in a big jar of Japaleno pickle juice right now.Been in for a couple of weeks, just another 6 weeks or so to go.....yummy!
Macon

Hi Folks

As a lad we fried pork meat Sausage etc. We placed the fried meat in canning jars covering it with melted lard. Then we canned the contents. This meat tasted fresh as the day we canned it a year later. I prefer this method for back packing food and you don't have to heat it always.

I am searching for a good recipe on Old Fashion Chow Chow vegetable canning.

Don Jackson Remington Magnum/Ultramag

Latest posts

Back