• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mentored Boy Places Second In PRB Division, Smiles All Around!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Rosenthal

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Patrick (the 13 year old that (2) NMLRA Charter Clubs got together and donated a rifle to) did a wonderful job yesterday competing with the adults in the regular monthly Black Powder League competition held on Sunday April 3rd at the Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club ( www.oldbridgerifle.com ). I've been mentoring Patrick since last July in the "Dark Arts & Science" of the Holy Black, where he was first introduced to that great rotten egg smell :) . He really LOVES shooting Black and everyone at BOTH Clubs are really PROUD of him and his shooting skills. I've sort of taken-on the job of "Shooting Coach" so that Patrick gets all of his constant questions answered to the best of my ability. Yesterday I taught him how to use Kentucky Windage & Elevation from 100 yards distance to overcome the wind gusts that blow through the rifle pit early in the day this time of year, before the Sun has a chance to warm up & stabilize the air currents.

Using his .50 caliber T/C Hawken percussion rifle with 50 grains of 2Fg Goex, a .015 pre-lubed Ox-Yoke patch & a .490 round ball Patrick blasted through wind gusts in excess of 25 MPH to hammer-out an impressive 113x150 aggregate score, placing 2nd in the Round Ball Division and ahead of several of our adult league members! The Course of Fire is (7) shots from 50 yards in the offhand (standing) position with the best (5) counting for score, then from 100 yards you shoot another (13) shots in either the standing, sitting, kneeling, crossed-sticks or prone positions (pick ONE) with the best (10) counting for score. Patrick chose the prone position since that is how he is most accurate with a rifle due to his experience in the Club's Youth Small Bore League held on most Thursday evenings at the Club's indoor range with .22 target rifles.

Utilizing my Nikon 20-60x zoom spotting scope I was able to spot for Patrick and call all of his shots from the 100 yard line, since I had switched divisions for the Match and shot my 10 ga. SxS Pedersoli as a Smoothbore from the 25 & 50 yard markers. Note: I seem to have stumbled upon a nice work-up loading for that gun with spit-patching 2.5" cleaning patches around a .715 round ball on top of (2) 10 ga. pre-lubed wonder-wads and 85 grains of 3Fg Goex. Shooting the Smoothie meant that once we got back to the 100 yard line I could set-up the spotting scope and not have to shoot since I had completed my COF already.

It was a real pleasure coaching Patrick yesterday and he's always very appreciative of everyone's efforts, which makes his Mom Laurie all the more PROUD of what Patrick has accomplished.

In addition to all of the above, Patrick has already been selected by Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club's Black Powder League Chairman Lance Brunner to assist him at the annual NRA Women On Target "Ladies Day At The Range" on May 7th. Patrick will be helping the women to load & fire a .50 cal Kentucky single-shot pistol, a gun he's really used to since he borrows Lance's at most pistol matches he attends :) . I didn't get a chance to write-down yesterdays pistol scores, but there's a chance that Patrick shot a higher score than yours truly :shocked2: :haha: :) and that's fine with me :grin: .

Next month Patrick wants to go to the Garden State Black Powder Association's Pistol Shoot to see how many times he can CLANG the steel targets that I'm going to set-up.

So that should just about bring everybody up to speed with what's going on since Patrick received his rifle in December and made Marksman First Class (see other thread) in the Winchester/NRA Qualifiers we hold at the Old Bridge Club every month.

Now I gotta go clean the Horse Pistol & the 10 ga. :v

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a great thing for you and both clubs- and especially for Patrick! Congrats, and well done to all of you!

Dan

Smoke,
That is outstanding. Two winners came away from that match for sure, Patrick and you. :thumbsup:

By the way, I got the package. Good pictures and informative magazine. I'll share it with my brother. Thanks :hatsoff:

Thanks! One of these days maybe you can come & check us out? And shoot with us too!

Stay in touch!

Dave

I'm really proud of him and also proud to be in such fine company, both here and at the Clubs that we belong to.

One of the members of the Garden State Black Powder Association gifted Patrick with an annual membership the first time Patrick made a Shoot (back in February). The anonymous benefactor wants to remain nameless, otherwise I'd broadcast it from the mountain tops! Now Patrick has plans on attending his first Rondy (but Mom isn't too keen on the idea just yet since we only have port-o-johns) and really getting to experience the ways of the old timers.

Dave

Thanks for the good wishes!

Glad you got the magazine I mailed to you!

Hope that you & your brother get to make some smoke real soon!

Dave

smokin .50 said:
Thanks! One of these days maybe you can come & check us out? And shoot with us too!

Stay in touch!

Dave

Hopefully I can get out in the next month or 2. Right now I'm busy with the spring hunter ed. schedule. Spent this past weekend at the Pequest open house. And now that my son got a taste of working on the range with folks new to shooting, he's been asking me at least twice a day to look into NRA instructor training for both of us.

fyrfyter43 said:
smokin .50 said:

Stay in touch!

Dave

Hopefully I can get out in the next month or 2. Right now I'm busy with the spring hunter ed. schedule. Spent this past weekend at the Pequest open house. And now that my son got a taste of working on the range with folks new to shooting, he's been asking me at least twice a day to look into NRA instructor training for both of us.

As an NRA Cerified Instructor & RSO, I just happen to know of a guy in your own back yard! Send me a PT with your email address and I'll send you his contact information. He's rated as a Training Counselor (TC) with the NRA and can therefore teach ALL of the Basic Courses in addition to Personal Protection Inside & Outside the Home, etc.

As far as seeing us (Patrick & I) shoot, I'll email you the schedule of BOTH clubs that Patrick & I shoot black powder at.

Chat soon!

Dave

Latest posts

Back