• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Michigan winter trek and camp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does that shelter work? Are you using blankets or tarps?

I have been winter camping for years and I love it but I have only done it with proper modern equipment.

You guys would have done fine with period authentic equipment if you had been properly acclimatized I think. Back in the day my Dad did alot of work up at Inuvik. He thought nothing of working on engines with his bare hands in -20 C and colder. The natives he worked with couldn't handle room temps when they came down to visit either. If you operate in an environment all the time your body will surprise you with its ability to adapt to it.

Glen: the shelter is a framework of saplings with large & small pieces of old canvas placed on top. Baling wire was used in some sections to join intersecting saplings and make it more rigid. Heavy snow had collapsed much of it when we first walked in, so we had to shovel it off and out. We placed notched poles down the middle to re-shape it and hold it more rigid. At one end there is a fire pit with a large opening above it to let the smoke out. Leaves are banked around the outer perimeter to keep out the drafts. We cut pine boughs for our beds, and then placed our bedrolls, including the concealed self-inflating air mattress, on top of that. You are so right about being acclimatized to temperature! Several of us were talking about life in the 1700's and we decided that NO one lived in a home where the temp was kept at 70 degrees, or even 65, so people were a lot more used to lower temps.

I have hunted the Cadillac area. Truly Gods country. Thanks for sharing your story, brings back good memories of that area.

Latest posts

Back