• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Middlesex Village Trading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICK54

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Middlesex Village Trading Company muskets ?

Yep, bought their fusil de chase flintlock. ramrod was flimsy. lock needs a lot of tuning to give reliable ignition. However, some fiddling makes a pretty nice gun for the price. Mine patterns No. 7 1/2 shot nicely. Haven't shot it much with ball, since I use it mostly as a shotgun for grouse, rabbits and squirrels. If I had it to do over, I'd get a musket with less than a 44-inch barrel. My gun did need a lot of attention, but I understand that's often true of all new black powder guns. graybeard

Well, you mean INDIA-made muskets need tuning... European ones might.

I've not seen that many of the India made guns but the couple that I did see looked to me to be more suitable for reenacting than for serious shooting. They look pretty good if you stand far enough back and squint your eyes just right but a close inspection just made me glad that my guns didn't come from India. They may be okay but..........I'll spend my money on something else. That's just me, and others may disagree. I don't care, it's their money and it's their right to spend it where ever they want. :hatsoff:

"...My gun did need a lot of attention, but I understand that's often true of all new black powder guns."

:bull:

Agree. I have 3 muzzleloading long guns 2 flints and a inline and I never had to adjust anything on them. If adjusting is required, then quality control and craftsmanship were lacking.

laffindog said:
"...My gun did need a lot of attention, but I understand that's often true of all new black powder guns."

I agree. With three caplocks (2 are factory) and 5 flintlocks, I've never had to touch anything on them. They all were splendid out of the box. :thumbsup:

hanshi said:
laffindog said:

I agree. With three caplocks (2 are factory) and 5 flintlocks, I've never had to touch anything on them. They all were splendid out of the box. :thumbsup:

I've found in my experience that you get what you pay for. If you're getting a "good gun for the money" that sounds like you're getting something substandard, but that's ok because it was cheap". I would rather pay for quality and get a gun that doesn't need "tuning" I have several custom guns and have not had a problem with them. I've had to have patience to save up for something that I don't need to make an excuse for.

Rick54 said:
Anyone have any experience with the Middlesex Village Trading Company muskets ?
Middlesex Village the company is very good to deal with, honest and dependable. Their guns...well they are Indian-made and that can be a problem. The folks at Middlesex do seem to screen what they sell carefully and drill the touch holes, etc. But, as is always true, you do not get a top quality firearm at a cheap firearm's price. So, if you order from them, understand what you are getting and act accordingly.

As to tuning, I own ten muzzle loaders, all flintlock except for one plains rifle, all but two fairly expensive and I have never had to do anything to any of them other than routine cleaning.

Im getting ready to order their India pattern brown bess. I haven't been able to find a decent priced one for sale.

I picked up one I dont know how it shoots yet but it looks good hanging. :thumbsup:

Well, you mean INDIA-made muskets need tuning... European ones might.

Funny at more than 2x SRP, they shouldn't.

Are we talking fusils, trade guns, or muskets? I have seen many of the MVTC bess muskets, they all shot fine right out of the box.

As to European fusils..., I have a Pedersoli trade gun, and speaking of having to squint when looking at it to make it look right..., not to mention the ramrod thimbles were improperly mounted so that the pins broke free of the wood, and the lock (as is the case with many of their rifles) is improperly mounted with a wood screw in addition to the lock bolt(s). I have also had to service Pedersoli muskets..., mostly for problems that one would expect, but they do have problems. So much for the Europeans being twice as good. :td:

LD

The lock is held in place by a WOOD SCREW???? Please post a picture of that. :photoSmile: I have never seen such a thing on a Pedersoli gun of any kind. Did it come from the factory that way or did someone mess with it? It sounds as if is an aftermarket jury rig by a previous owner unless you bought it new and it was that way out of the box. Every Pedersoli that I have ever owned or have seen has the lock held in place by lock bolt(s) but never by a wood screw. That just doesn't sound like a new out of the box Pedersoli to me.........but I could be wrong, :idunno: my experience with Pedersoli has been limited to over only the last 30 or so years. :hatsoff:

The newer Pedersoli SxS use a wood screw at the front of each lock. The older ones used through bolt which is threaded into the left hand lock. Can't say that it has ever caused me any trouble. Their Mortimer rifle may as well, but I would have to look.

Hi Gregg,
I am just curious, what do you (and others posting in this thread) consider a "decent price" for a competently made replica of a Brown Bess?

dave

Back