• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

minimum load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have killed deer with my .50 loaded with prb and anywhere from 60 grains goex ff to 95 grains goex ff. It all worked just fine.

If you must have a recommendation, I'll say 70 grains. :thumbsup:

Tough to give you a straight answer...lot depends on maker, rifling twist, barrel length, etc. Basically, I'd say something around 60 grains of FFFg but this assumes your rifle is accurate with that load.

I know of a woman that has killed numerous deer with a 50 cal using 50 grains of 3f. I shoot what my gun likes and put the ball in the vitals and eat it, and not focus on a minimum charge.

nchawkeye said:
What's your maximum range??????

This is a good question. Minimum load should be the load you get your best accuracy at the maximum range you intend to shoot. The animal deserves your best! :thumbsup:

I've only killed three deer with a .50 prb. Two through the ribs, one through the shoulder. Complete pass throughs from 10-60 yards with 70gr ffg, and soft lead ball.

With ballistol mix as lube, I get better groups with 80gr, but with mink oil my groups open up a little bit with 80gr. Hoping to do more accuracy work after the holidays.

I use 80-90 grains of Goex 3f in my .50's but I still consider about 80 yards as max. distance for deer. I know many go beyond that with no problem. If I were staying under 50 yards I think 60 grains would be enough. It's really about hitting the vitals more than power with patched ball. I just never tried a light load so I can't say whether it would penetrate well enough beyond 50 yards or so.

I have to ask though, why do you want a min. charge? Do you have problems with the recoil of a stronger load?

I try to use a fairly stout load for deer without going overboard. Even if it grouped well over 90 grains I don't see the need for it where I hunt.

Thanks for the replys. Reason for Question is my daughter wants to try my 50 cal flintlock. I shoot 90 gr FF and it beats me up after about 10 shots. I know her 90lbs will not take it well.
I would rather have her wait, she is very recoil shy of any guns we shoot

Even if she isn't ready to hunt yet you should get her target shooting with 30 grains or so and 25 yards; maybe 50 yards. She needs to get some range time in before she's ready to hunt.

Just use a small amount of pan charge at first so the flash doesn't bother her; make sure she uses saftey glasses as well. Keep her range time to 3 or 4 shots max. at first. You can build up the charge little by little as she is able to hit and the recoil isn't a problem. A pie plate makes a good target.

We've found that 60 grains of FFFg to be the ideal load for high school aged kids of both genders. We use a Pedersoli Kentucky and a TC Greyhawk both in .50 caliber and both guns perform well at 100 yards which is the distance we set up the iron ram target. For those that want to experience a "real" load we just double up the load since both guns shoot it well. Mostly, it's the smallest gals that want to try out the'big' gun with a 'big' load. One of the smallest actually shot the manhood off the ram and took no end to kidding about it. We told her she didn't need to be guarded from the boys, she knew what to do! What a laugh. The 69 grain charge hits the iron ram hard and will usually knock it down unless edge hit is gotten.

The legal minimum in Maryland is 60 grains. I liked 70 grains of 3Fg in my fifty caliber rifle, and when I sold it and went to a more visually correct .54 rifle, I kept the same load as it was darn accurate in that rifle.

LD

baobtrudt said:
what do you reccommend for a minimum load in a 50 flintlock for deer?

I'm always asking what the max load would be. More is always better it's the American way.

Back