• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minnies with 1 in 66 twist??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merak

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have inherited 4 muzzleloaders, Three are .50 caliber and one is .40 caliber. All have 1 in 66" twist. Can I use minnies or should I stick to round ball? Also with the flintlocks, do I need to use 4f for the frizzen or can I get away using 3f. Having a hard time finding 4f around here.

You should stick with patched rd balls. You can use 3f for priming the PAN on the flintlock without any problems if you have a well made lock and a good sharp flint.

Stick with the rndball. T1 in 66 twist is too slow to stabelize the minnie ball. If you want to try a conical type of projectile use the shortest you can get. Or try buffalo balletts

"and those were great times"

I use both the Buffalo Ball-etts and the PA Conical by Hornady in my 1:60 GPR and they shoot great. You can go to Hornadys web site and check out the PA conical, you can order them there as well.

Great thread. The PA conicals are just what Ive been looking for as I wish to move from patched ball to a more bullet shaped projectile as I have a 1:66 twist in my
50cal Missouri Ranger. Phil what sort of charge do u use with the 240gr PA`s for hunting? I`m using 85grs of fffg for the 180gr round ball.
Cheers
Craig B 50cal Missouri Ranger

if you have trouble with 3F, carefully grind it up in a wooden mortar and pestle. For safeties sake, only grind a tablespoon at a time and wear gloves and safety specs or a face shield. Good luck!

I have inherited 4 muzzleloaders, Three are .50 caliber and one is .40 caliber. All have 1 in 66" twist. Can I use minnies or should I stick to round ball? Also with the flintlocks, do I need to use 4f for the frizzen or can I get away using 3f. Having a hard time finding 4f around here.

I use 4F for priming...but if you can't find any, I've seen a suggestion where a guy puts a teaspoon of 3F into a 35mm film canister with a lead round ball, snap the lid on tight, shake it around for a minute, and it'll pulverize the 3F into finer granules...simple, quick, safe

I use 65 to 75 gr of 3f, depending on which rifle I am using. Use 3f in as the main charge and in the pan.

The 3F will work fine in the pan. Been shooting it in there when hunting with them foor over 30 years & had no problems. I just use 4F on the range because it is easy to despense from a primer horn or primer flask.

:results:

Back