• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Misfires ,What I"m doing wrong?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL -- Yeah, that took a moment to digest here too. I think that the idea is to create an airspace behind the pellet and this draws to flash around the back of the pellt. This theoretically lights the whole back end and relaibly fires the pellet. I figured that they were claiming that the priming charge moved the main chrge forward a tad. Yeah right!!! I figure that when you rammed the charge home, you smashed the pellet over the pointed breech face and negated any advantage that the design offered. The priming charge then moved nothing and you were back to a standard flash hole system.

But then, I am a bear of very little brain and could be wrong. If so, please explain it to me. It is often by being shown wrong that I learn the most.

YMHS,
CrackStock

I don't know but I've been told, thet the center of them Pyrodex pellets are made of blackpowder,.... if so, I don't see how "plug'n" the center of the pellet with a pointy cone would make it more likely to ignite from the "heat" of the pan-flash.

I guess I have truble believe'n thet the "heat" from the pan-flash can travel thet far anyway, and the description give'n by T/C of ther Firestorm breechplug jest might contain a certain percentage of "sales hype".

T/C's Firestorm system will have to "prove" itself to remain marketable, so time will tell.

As fer m'self, I'll stick with the old traditional design and be content without all the modern headaches!! :haha: :haha:

YMHS
rollingb

:m2c: :imo:
after reading the previous posts and looking at the t/c website there are a couple of things that were hit on that i think bear mentioning.
1) due to the coned breech plug ,i can't help but believe there is a lot of fouling on the opposite side from the touch hole preventing proper ignition at the base of the pellet .
2) a 5gr charge of bp could help with more reliable ignition ,but you should never have to fuse the touch hole,3 to 5 grains of ffffg or fffg in the pan should be sufficient to set just below the touch hole.
3) make sure you are dropping your pellets with the corrct side down and when seating your projectile,do not crush the pellets.just push it down until you feel the bullet stop then a couple of light taps with the ram rod should be sufficient.
before you go out and shoot your firestorm again use a breech cleaning brush or remove your breech plug and thoroughly clean the plug and chamber then dry it out completely ,put antisieze on the plug threads snd start over with b/p ::
good luck

Well, to add my 2 cents worth, shooting a flinter isn't "rocket surgery" as the ad says on TV. First thing I would do, in your case, is flush the pellets down the toilet and forget about them forever. Get some 2F or 3F to go along with your 4F priming powder. Use about 50 grains of the 2 or 3 F down the barrel. Don't worry about getting an accurate load at this point, just learn how to get the gun to go off, and without flinching. Use a loose patch and ball combo, along with a liquid lube. There are a number of recipes on the Forum you can look up. I use my Cat Whiz stuff and can shoot thirty shots without swabbing the barrel. Accuracy remains good. I also don't like swabbing between shots all the time because of the risk of pushing gunk down the barrel into the area of the touch hole. After every shot, I wet a finger with my tongue and wipe the underside of the flint, the frizzen, and the pan. This takes about 5 seconds. I then give them a wipe with the piece of rag I have hanging from my bag. Last step before priming is to run my pick into the touch hole and make sure it is completely open. I do this routine every shot and about the only time I have a misfire is if the flint dulls. On very rare occasions, about 1 in 200 or more shots, I get a flash in the pan because.....who knows. It's a flinter. As to the amount of powder in the pan, I fill it to slightly over half full, maybe two thirds full, but keep it away from the touch hole. You don't need it mounded up but at the same time you need enough to do the job. I have seen a number of people, new shooters, who tried to follow the "use very little priming powder" theory, and got carried away, not using enough. The flash has to be big enough to make it through the hole and only the part of the flash on the left side of the priming charge is near that opening. A small amount of prime may make and impressive flash but it is going straight up and not doing the job. Start out with at least 2/3 full and after you get reliability, start dropping back until you have problems. Then increase it until it is reliable. Again, dump the pellets and write them off to part of the cost of the learning curve. If you have a nipple gun, use them there, but keep them away from the flinter. More bother than they are worth. If you insist on using them, along with the kicker charge of priming powder, remember to NOT dump the kicker charge straight from the priming device. Use a measure, just like priming from the horn or flask. Keep us posted on your progress. :m2c:

OK Everybody thank you for taking the time to help me learn.777 I will give to my friend who has an inline[something all never hunt with].. :hmm:.
Today bought 2f powder for the load,and good measuring tool.Also got some 50 round ball and patches..........I cant wait to shoot. :redthumb:

Back