• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mixed Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samerch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Had a enough time to walk one fence line, was looking for rabbits. Shot the rabbit shortly after leaving the truck, reloaded and went about 100 yards and had pheasants going ever where. The one in the picture held tight, and got up about 10 yards in front of me. I don't know who was more surprised, me that I hit him or him that he was shot. I have been shooting this 20ga Fowler for the last 2 weeks and the rabbits have been kicking my butt. It had a front sight on it when I bought it, which when used shot about a foot low. Finally I got around to taking it off yesterday,now it shoots where I point it. Two shots, two in the bag don't get much better than that.
Merch

20gafowler007.jpg
[/img]

That's the way it is done! Congrats on the hunt and the presence of mind to have a camera to record it. A very nice xmas present to yourself. Your fowler looks very compact how long is the barrel?

Barrel length is 30", and it is a 20ga. Handles nice in the thick stuff. Will be buying or making a full length fowler before next hunting season, maybe a 16ga :hmm:
Merch

Nice Pheasant, Squirrel and rifle!

Did you build the gun? What did you use for the barrel? I really like the compactness of that. Well done

Just kidding about the squirrel thing! :wink:

That's some good hunten. :thumbsup: :hatsoff: Smoothbores are great huh. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Teton Ted

alaskasmoker
Didn't build it, bought it from a guy in Miss. Squirrel and rifle now thats funny :rotf: :rotf: . I think I've had more fun with this fowler than I had in a long time. Been shooting black powder for close to 40 years, and wish I would have bought a fowler years ago.
Merch

Merch said:
alaskasmoker
Didn't build it, bought it from a guy in Miss. Squirrel and rifle now thats funny :rotf: :rotf: . I think I've had more fun with this fowler than I had in a long time. Been shooting black powder for close to 40 years, and wish I would have bought a fowler years ago.
Merch

Congrat's on your harvest! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've been wanting to get a smoothbore flinter for a while now & reading about yours & others experiences hunting with them is really making me anxious to get one. I have a couple percussion shotguns, but there is just something about the flintlock that makes it so much better!

Yep, fowlers are a lot of fun. I shoot one with a 42in barrel in 20ga. and use it mostly on birds. Though as you know it's great on just about anything. Way to go...

Bald Mtn Man said:
Merch said:
alaskasmoker
Merch

Congrat's on your harvest! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've been wanting to get a smoothbore flinter for a while now & reading about yours & others experiences hunting with them is really making me anxious to get one. I have a couple percussion shotguns, but there is just something about the flintlock that makes it so much better!

What Al said. I be needing a 20 bore flinter that is a true fowler. My 16 bore Bess "carbine" (42" bbl) was NOT a moving game gun in spite of the claims made that a smoothie does it all. SOME smoothbores don't do birds or bounding bunnies. Period.

Love pestering 'em with my 12 bore cap gun but a flinter would be finest kind. :thumbsup:

Great job I would mount that bird. It is a true trophy with a flinter!!!! Congrats.

You done well. I don't have a smoothbore, been tinking on geting one. I like the look of yours. Dilly

Back