• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ML Schuetzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlwwade

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Any body shooting Muzzleloading Schuetzen? You know 200yd offhand iron sights. I would realy like to talk with you.

James

James,
I'm sure there are some folks here that shoot the scheutzens, but you may want to also go over to the "single shot rifle association's" site. Those guys are die hard into it.
Mark

I don't shoot it much but a number of years ago I built a Pecatonica River Schuetzen "kit" in .40 caliber.

Here's a link to the topic I made about it. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/17200/
schutz11.jpg

It shoots paper patched bullets which I buy from Montana Precision Swaging up in Butte, Montana.
I paper patch these with .0015 thick dress pattern paper and they work great.
Bullets-006.jpg

The Single Shot Rifle assn is OK but almost all of the guns they shoot or talk about are modern breech loading guns.
Very little about the great old muzzle loaders style that was used in the 19th century.

Last edited by a moderator:
jlwwade said:
Any body shooting Muzzleloading Schuetzen? You know 200yd offhand iron sights. I would realy like to talk with you.

James

Try the Wyoming Schuetzen Union site.

The original rifles often shot cloth patched picket bullets.
Dan

Thanks guys. That's a very nice looking 40 cal.

I finely settled on a Pedersoli Bristlen Morges 35 cal. 1 in 18 twist. Placed the order a few weeks ago, but it will take six months or more to get built and shipped here. These are supose to be close to custom built, with quality a step above their other products. I am told they do very well in World international matches.

I wish the WSU had more discussion going on. Looks a little dead overtheir.

James

Hi james....The guys here who shoot the Gibbs or Rigby fast twist muzzleloaders shoot the exact same loads that your new schuetzen rifle will use [paper patch or grease groove bullets]. I'm sure that we can give you some load info if you need it. It is up to you to experiment with both bullet types to determine which your rifle likes best. Don't forget that you will be cleaning the bore after EVERY shot for top accuracy. Keep us posted! Paul

A must read book for you is "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" by Ned Roberts. You may have to search around for it as it was a limited print reissue from an originally privately published issue. Your Library system should be able to borrow it from another system if it does not have a copy.

I have all of Roberts books, they are very good. Another good one is "The American Schuetzen Rifle" by Rowe. This is a must have for examples of this type rifle.

Thanks,
James

I think you'll be happy with the Bristlen Morgues, they're a fine rifle.....but heavy!!!
I shoot MLAIC competition & I see a number of the B-Ms being used. I used to have a Pedersoli Waadtlander, which is a similar rifle but in .45 caliber 1:48" twist. I personally didn't get along with it, but I think a lot of that had to do with the twist rate & the bullet I was using. I feel the faster twist rate of the B-M will be a good thing.
Unfortunately, the only MLAIC event for this type of rifle (off-hand/schuetzen) is the 'Vetterli' which is shot at only 50 meters. These days if you aren't shooting 100/100 you won't even place in the medals at a World Championships! There's been talk of moving it out to 100 meters which I think would be a good thing.

I guess they use the term "Schuetzen" pretty loosely.

The original Schuetzen match was shot at about 200 yards (or meters?), offhand.

A palm rest is allowed so that the shooter could rest the gun on his palm and lock his elbow into his rib cage. Beyond that, no other rest or aid was allowed.

At the end of the match there was another shoot, the target being made of wood. It was shot to splinters.

Of course, no good German shooting match would be complete without a big meal along with lots of good Beer after all of the shooting was finished.

I guess they use the term "Schuetzen" pretty loosely.

Just to clarify, MLAIC doesn't use the term Schuetzen when referring to the 'Vetterli' event. I was trying to say that was the only MLAIC event where a Schuetzen style rifle is generally used. I have seen some people shooting them in prone events, too!

Of course, no good German shooting match would be complete without a big meal along with lots of good Beer after all of the shooting was finished.

Even to this day that is still the case in Germany, at least the beer part. Though they don't wait until after the shooting is over.....it is still quite normal over there to have a mug of beer right there on the firing line to 'sup' on between shots! Quite disturbing to witness for the first time for those of us who believe alcohol & guns don't mix.

Back