• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

modern equipment?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is soley an individual choice as to how much modern stuff one uses, as for the non-sidelock guns they were build with the intention of increasing range and downrange energy that is much highter than the period type PRB/primitive sight guns, "cheater guns" is probably not a bad description. One sore spot for the traditional hunters is when folks use a lot of modern gesr (bullets, sights primarily) and claim to be hunting with traditional gear when they have a definate advantage in range and energy compared to the old ways, traditional hunters take offense at such gear being called traditional and there is merit in the comparison and feelings.

" I will leave clothing out, just not practical wearing period correct clothing"

Don't leave out clothing it can be very uncomfortable being naked in the woods, and there is nothing impractical about hunting in period clothing it adds another level to the game for many,and the Orange requirement where in force can be worked in with little negative effect, and one can wear partial period clothing if desired I do this often when grabbing a quick hunt after work, I do fine it more enjoyable when I hunt in full period dress, I often wear Gore-Tex socks in the winter, but there do not show, like the coil spring locks in some guns. Once you try the period clothing you may like it, it is kind of the last step in a growing experience, and the Squirrels don't seem to mind.

sqrlhunt2.jpg

i drive to my hunting spot and i carry my cellphone for emergencies and i carry a digital camera because i like to take photos. as for the hunt itself i try to stay as pc as possible,always on foot,no grunt calls or tree stands for deer huntin,although i do carry a disstres whistle when squirrel hunting.never use modern firearms because i dont own any,just flintlocks.i always dress period,i just would'nt feel right in the woods carrying a flintlock, dressed in camo,nothing wrong with it,just not for me.and i have period clothing for winter that keep me just as warm and cozy as any gortex or thinsulate could,at least i aint ever froze yet! it's just up to each individual as to how far you want to take it. just want to add that i dont mean to belittle anybody that does'nt try to dress pc,if it aint for you then it aint for you,no big deal. but like tg said once you start doing it it gets under your skin,for me it's half the fun.i dont have a persona or do re-enactments or anything like that,i just like to dress funny and run around in the woods
0112.jpg
:grin:

I like to hunt in my mocs rather than my hard sole huntin'boots ,I find I'm more particular about my steps in mocs, may make my stalking better?

as for the rest "modern gear" bass pro and cabelas would like to see you bring a truck and trailer full of stuff ,less is best for me

... and if I can use something hand made even better.
I say use what you need to hunt your best ...the cridders deserve at least that.

hawk 2 said:
I like to hunt in my mocs rather than my hard sole huntin'boots ,I find I'm more particular about my steps in mocs, may make my stalking better?

Very true. Ive done some experimenting with the deer around my house as with my normal hunting boots, they hear on me on roads easily. With moccasins, they didnt hear me until i was in plain view.

I stomp around all fall with Rubber Boots and a Camo coat.I use my 4 wheeler to get into my remote hunting camp where I have my Generator that powers my light and small T.V.I have a GPS,Wristwatch,and (Gasp)Compass.I even brush my teeth everynight after I take Cholesterol pill.I do however....shoot a Roundball that sits on top of Real Black Powder. :grin:

Halftail said:
I stomp around all fall with Rubber Boots and a Camo coat.I use my 4 wheeler to get into my remote hunting camp where I have my Generator that powers my light and small T.V.I have a GPS,Wristwatch,and (Gasp)Compass.
I even brush my teeth everynight after I take Cholesterol pill.
I do however....shoot a Roundball that sits on top of Real Black Powder. :grin:

Horrors !!!
:grin:

flinch said:
I will leave clothing out, just not practical wearing period correct clothing, ...

I think we need to separate "traditional" hunting from "muzzleloader" hunting. I for one think there's a difference.

If you aren't going to wear traditional clothing, then it really doesn't matter what else you bring, because you are "muzzleloader" hunting (non-traditional). :wink:

IMHO

It seems a few define "terms" that really suit their "ideas" of what is proper and create "limits" for other's opinions that don't coincide w/ their views. The original post was concerned w/ the topic of using modern equipment and technolgy WHILE HUNTING....not what is used in EVERY DAY LIVING. If an ATV is necessary to hunt because of physical handicaps, so be it...my hat's off to those that continue to hunt despite their physical limitations. Roundball...you posted a list of items that contain some everyday useful or necessary items but these everyday items are a divergence from the original post which was limited to and pertained to modern equipment and technology used while HUNTING. Too many times the posts are "off topic" and really waste the time of the posters that submit pertinent, on topic replies. Again I repeat...I don't care what equipment or technology is used by people while hunting, but let's not be critical of others that prefer to not use any of the modern "gimmicks" or use equipment different than what we use....Fred

Traditional Muzzleloader hunting to me is defined by the Departments of Fish and Game. They have guide lines for traditional hunts. If your gun, bullet, and sight meet those standards you are legal. That makes it a traditional hunt. Ron

flehto said:
Roundball...you posted a list of items that contain some everyday useful or necessary items but these everyday items are a divergence from the original post which was limited to and pertained to modern equipment and technology used while HUNTING.
Actually Fred, I was really just being light hearted because as soon as I saw your post...being somewhat in the extreme compared to many...I knew what was about to follow based upon the history of this kind of thread, that's all.
But personally I couldn't care less if you hitch hike to your hunting area and hunt naked when you get there.

Also, if the original poster has a problem with my light hearted comments, maybe you could let him speak for himself, eh

:thumbsup:

Idaho Ron said:
Traditional Muzzleloader hunting to me is defined by the Departments of Fish and Game.

Fish and Game allow inline firearms and even some black powder cartridges in what they call their traditional season. "Traditional" is define somewhat differently on this Forum.

I don't care what people do outside this Forum, but suggesting that anything the "law" allows is traditional, may cause confusion in this "Traditional Muzzleloader Hunting" category.

Nothing personal... just my meager attempt at trying to encourage posts to be on topic so we aren't wasting time reading through a bunch of gibberish. I, like very many on this forum, have definite opinions on a number of subjects, but am very tolerant of other's views and don't take umbrage w/ dissenting opinions.....Fred

flehto said:
,,, trying to encourage posts to be on topic so we aren't wasting time reading through a bunch of gibberish. I, like very many on this forum, have definite opinions on a number of subjects, but am very tolerant of other's views and don't take umbrage w/ dissenting opinions.....Fred

I agree. Nobody cares what people do, but what we talk about in a forum called traditional maybe should be limited to just that. "Modern hunting equipment" can be discussed, but perhaps not in this forum? :confused:

I agree Claude, 200 years ago no one had any of these modern things, so I dont take any of them with me when I hunt wearing period clothing, carrying a period fire arm, and walk out the back door to go hunting. It makes it all the worthwhile. Texas law reads "Any firearm that is loaded ONLY from the muzzle. NOTE: a cap and ball firearm in which the powder and ball are loaded into a cylinder IS NOT a muzzleloader". That can cover many many muzzleloaders, nontraditional types included. I'll stick to sidelocks, buckskins, coonskin caps, and have fun doin it! :hatsoff:

In Colorado we have a Primitive muzzleloading season. If it loads from the front, used black powder or subs ( smokeless not allowed) and open sights, its legals for the primitive muzzleloading season.

The talk here is what do you wear during your muzzleloading season.

Im not going to be hunting in a loin cloth in this thick oak brush we have out here :haha:

Back