• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

modern equipment?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive oly dressed up traditional Once and that was last years elk hunt. As soon as i got it, i was close enough to home and i changed out my old stuff for new. Dragging an elk down a rocky mountain while wearing a capote and moccasin boots wouldnt have been much fun. Although i have to admit, that leather shirt i had on earlier would have saved me from being cut up as i took a backward stumble down 20 feet of that mountain :rotf:

Most of the time im wearing my heavy camo jacket and pants.

Normally im not the one to get caught napping :haha:
100_3489.jpg

100_3478.jpg

"you can't wear a frock while hunting with a percussion gun"

I believe I have seen evidence on other forums that the Frock was in use past the time of the Alamo, I would not be concerned, as time goes on you can research a lot of stuff and see how many times yer leg has been pulled.
Caped and uncaped hunting frocks in both leather and cloth can be documented into the 1860's...

IIRC Josiah Greg circa 1841 notes a hunter in the SW using a 1" long conical in his Hawken (1x48" twist) - most likely a cloth patched picket or sugar loaf bullet.

Ned Roberts illustrates at least two pre-1840 conicals in his book.

Two goove winged conicals were fairly widely used by Englsh makers pre 1850 and were not unknown in the Americas. I used to have a circa 1830 Purdey rifle in 58 caliber with both a winged roundball and a winged conical mold. The conical weighed about 175% more than the roundball. Due to it's pointed tip the conical wasn't that great a bullet for hunting, but filing off the tip - aka adding a reasonable meplat to the nose made a huge difference and out did the roundball in many ways on heavy game such as elk....such changes to period bullets can be documented....

"....such changes to period bullets can be documented.... "

That is what we are looking for the type that folks had access to and used in the past, these would really put the tradition back into hunting with connicals.I suspect that in the '30's and '40's the ball was just easier to get and was the familiar standard, we have drifted away from the rooots of traditional bullet shooting with all the new designs which offer greater range and killing power.(advantage)

Back