• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moisture Prevention Ideas Needed?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtski

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello to all here is my problem here in Cheeseland we can go from below zero to 50 in the course of a the 10 day firearms deer season would like to my Remmy for a spare shot. What has been the groups experience with hot and cold making moisture. Am I going to have store my pistol in the unheated arctic entrance with my Hawken so I don't have to pull the charges each night or does any of you got some tricks to try.

Thanks Sgt Ski

1. Move to Arizona
2. Keep the Remmy outside with the long rifle
3. Put it in the refrigerator
4. When outside, carry it under your thermals

Probably the easiest way is to load them when they're cold and keep them that way. Taking warm metal into a cold environment is where you get condensation.

A trick that I use isn't very PC but it does keep the charge dry. T/C makes silicone rings that go on the nipples to seal them against moisture. If you load the guns in a dry environment and keep the chambers sealed, you won't have any moisture get in to worry about. Grease on the rifle's patch and over the revolvers chambers takes care of the front end. The silicone rings takes care of things from the nipple.

I agree with Plink, about covering up the nipple/cone with some kind of vapor barrier before you bring the weapons in from the cold.

Latest posts

Back