• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mortar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Cook

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Attached is a link to a picture of my golf ball mortar that has a Dom Carpenter tube.
I went to the golf driving range on the course that my friend owns. We set up early in the morning well before anyone showed up for golf.
I loaded the mortar with 100 grains of FFFg black powder.
We cleared the area, installed the fuse and set it off.

With a great sound and a large white cloud of smoke the old golf ball went high and out of sight. It landed 185 yards down range.
It was FANTASTIC!!! What a sound! I love it!
Thank you Dom, very much.

This should lead to a picture: http://s778.photobucket.com/albums/yy69/jimcook2/?action=view&current=Mortar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk about deja-vu! We were just talking about Cannon Golf. I guess great minds.....

Let's see. What should be in your bag? Maybe a cannon for the long holes and the mortar for chipping, pitching and sand shots.

The BIG question.....what is used on the green?

cynthialee said:
Spiffy!

Might come in handy on one of those long walk par 4 holes...

Hey! Cannon golf! Sounds like it has potential.
:haha:

I think you'll "putt" with a rammer or a sponge. One duffer holds the rammer near the ball, and another duffer hits the ball like using a cue stick on a billiard ball. Artillery is a team event, so artillery golf is also a team event. keep an eye open for it in 2016 in Rio, and maybe 2014 at Smugglers Notch as a wnter event.

Big problem tho. What happens when it gets buried in a sand trap that bugger could be so buried as to be unfindable. Then you have to take a penalty stroke. Or yelling fore takes on a whole new meaning! OUCH!!. Do you get to use a windage, range and elevation tool or must you use "by guess and by god:?

Last year at the Cut Bank Cannon convention, we had a golf ball mortar Hole in one contest. Borrowed a real golf cup and flag from the local golf course.

20 our so shooters on line. Entry fee was $5 for 5 balls, which went into the $100 opening pot the club put up. First hole in one claimed the pot.

The hole was a par 3, some where between 75 and 100 yards. After the smoke cleared the club walked away with pot.

That sounds like a blast! ;) I may have to whip one up on the lathe this winter...

What was really fun was every one shot at once.

All kinds of ball in the air all at once.

Everyone had five balls they bought from the club. each ball was numbered-5 balls same number.

After every one shot, the hole was checked and the bottom ball in the hole would be the winner.

Didn't matter, there were balls all over the place, everywhere except in hole

Back