• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Most Dangerous Tool?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the subject of locks -- has anyone ever tried a lock out of the stock to test its spark, and somehow managed to insert one of his fingers into the path of the brand-new (hence, very sharp) flint? Don't ask me how I know to ask that question....

Mongrel, I have seen it done. But by some miracle haven't done it to myself yet. I have got blood blisters from in between the frizzen and spring a couple of times though. :cursing:

Mine would have to be the fleshing machine. 9,000 inches of razor sharp steel every minute. Pass anything over it and it's gone. Once cut a large portion of my left palm off. It just felt warm and I knew what had just happened. Got a hollow spot just behind my thumb to remind me to respect it.
I would have to say the staple gun is next. I can't list all the times I've stapled myself to something.

OK every one of you stay away from me, I don't need accidents like this!

Seriously tho, dad was out using a chain saw, saw sliped and he didnt' think anything about it untill he was on the front porch, pants leg was slip open, boot was cut open, sock was cut as well. skin had no scratch on it at all.

Ed

i was using a mash hammer to knock boards off the back wall of the garage. managed to find a cut nail sticking out of a stud. left quite a blood trail up the driveway, through the kitchen and into the bathroom. looked like somebody got axe murdered. mrs. comes home, first thing out of her mouth- "who's going to clean up this mess?" if you want sympathy, don't marry a nurse! :haha:

Waaaaay back in 8th grade shop class we had a poster with two angels sitting on a cloud. As one looks Earthward he tells the other "I worked in a machine shop for thirty years and only made ONE mistake!" Kind of said it all for us. That and our teacher was "Three Fingers" Hollanbaugh, courtesy of a chained chuck key he left in a drill press. I don't use a press to this day without checking it and thinking about him.

Walruskid... gotta second you on the nurse bit... how many times have I gone upstairs to dig out splinters, stop bleeding or ice down mashed parts of my anatomy to hear, "Sorry, I'm off duty" :rotf:

Once, when impaling myself on a long bit kindling camping out-of-state, I even heard, "I'm not licensed in South Carolina..." :blah:

I thought keeping a nurse around would be an asset as clumsy as I am... instead it's "Cut the sarcasm and hand me a band-aid..." :shake: :rotf:

M

ps. another dangerous tool that can lead to the above: Going to the drill press thinking, 'it's only a little hole, I don't need to lock it in the vise...' whirr, snag, whap-whap-whap, zing... medic!

Not in shop the shop but the worse thing ive done is cutt neck with a chainsaw. 36 stitches worth on left side. Oh and every nurse and doctor in the building had to come by for a look. Iam sure chatter at the water cooler was "Hay go down to emergency and check out the guy who cut his neck with a CHAINSAW!!!" Dummest thing I think is try to close a very hot bullet mould with bare hands.

Since you did not specify that the tool was to be used building a rifle, mine would have to be the chainsaw, 3 times now....glad I gave up loggin' :rotf:

For me it has been hand held power drills. As a young guy I worked in a window factory. About the third week there I was assigned to drill out rivets that had been set in the wrong places. I had to work off a makeshift table with a weak over hang. It broke while I was drilling, the drill went to my crotch, and before I could release the trigger, well, a very important part of my anatomy was wound up tight in my Levi's with the drill bit. Six stitches in one area, another area was missing skin the size of a thumbnail. Oddly, this did not hurt greatly, but I did see all the stars in the universe a few days later when the doctor, giving no warning, swabbed the wounds in iodine to dry them up. I was sitting at the time or would have been on the floor.
A few years later I was drilling out a musket worm to thread it to my rod and ran the tap drill clear through my index finger. That hurt, but having to trigger the drill again to get it out was even worse. For the next hour I was in the worst degree of pain I have ever experienced to date.

Though I have, and have used, most all of the fast, sharp, powerful tools mentioned, -my strongest precaution goes with the SNOW SHOVEL. Simple, silent and non-threatening; the zen of shoveling seems to exert an elementary form of hypnotism which invites the isolated, slightly off-balance bend/reach, or over-weighted, misaligned twist/heave, -and the user is ushered into a prolonged and not so subtle realm of neuro-muscular misery.

Any tool in the hands of an idiot or some one who knows it all {they are real close}.

I ran a shop in a University. Believe me some of them knew it all! The ones who simply would not ask directions were most dangerous.

Without going into detail these come to mind.

One guy sawed right through his hand on a bandsaw, one guy put drill press at highest speed and then put a polishing buff on an arbor in it. It almost flew before it exploded the drill press.

One girl snuck in and "sharpened" her blender blade on the grinder{ after I told her not to}. The blade snagged and went into her palm.

Another guy left the wrench in the spindle of a Millrite mill and turned it on. Would you beleive it stayed on the nut and he was mad because I cut the power?
Of couse many left the chuck key in lathes drills etc always impressive. Almost all wanted to wear sandals in the shop too.

About the shovel, don't forget the dreadful thought of lying in the snow and slush in 10' weather, having a heart attack... seen that (no jokes here).

Legion

On a lighter note -- anyone ever been scraping slush/ice off a walk and hit one of the cracks between slabs? And driven the handle of the shovel into your gut?

Like I have to ask. :rotf:

Thirty years ago, I had a rather nasty adventure with a table saw. Wasn't paying good enough attention and the cost was a severed left index finger, my thumb was cut through the top knuckle and hanging by a thread, a middle finger cut all up, nerves and tendons cut, my ring finger just got nicked. This was before micro surgury.I TELL PEOPLE, IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE! Please be careful around machinery. ........George F.

Back