• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

moulds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about anything will mould if you leave it out long enough. It's not hard to make.

Rat

how do you make a mould? is it easy?

A short answer is.......No.

Of course it depends on how accurate you want the mold to be and how much equipment you have and how much your willing to spend on some.

The typical round ball mold is formed with a "cherry", which is just another name for a spherical mill cutter.
Having the equipment to power this cutter, and to position it in the right place relative to the blocks which are being machined is helpful.

Then there is the little thing called "shrink factor" which is the amount of oversize the cutter has to be to produce a ball of a desired size.
In other words, the cavity has to be larger than the cooled casting is going to be.
This is dependent on the "Alpha" (coefficient of thermal expansion) of the material being cast and the size of the finished casting.

Take my word for it, it's just a lot easier to buy finished mold blocks or if a special size is wanted, to pay someone who has the knowledge and equipment to build what you want. :)

Well I have a feeling I'm not the only one pulling legs here.

:hmm:

Rat

A lot depends on the amount and quality of the tooling you have access too and just how "pretty you want the finished product to turn out.

Back in the olden days I worked in a machiene shop and made a lot of molds that are still producing good slugs.

I have also made simple molds of straight through design for conical slugs.

The perfectly round ball is the ultimate chalenge for the home craftsman, sort of like the holy grail of casting.

Of course you have the materials to consider, the time invested, etc. You could mow a neighbors yard and make $20 in a couple of hours.

A $20 Lee mold will cast good balls and save you a serious brain anurism.

Then there is the little thing called "shrink factor" which is the amount of oversize the cutter has to be to produce a ball of a desired size.

There's also the "expansion factor", because the mould will be hot when you use it ::

You can go to Cabela's and get Lee molds for 16.99 I have two of then in .490 and .454 dia. they make good balls as long as you keep the mold real hot.

VEGETARIAN: INDIAN FOR LOUSY HUNTER

Back