• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mountain men and patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day I would say the Mountain man probaly didnot shoot half as much as we do, at least me. i mean that they shot their rifles basically when needed, food, attack, what have you. Today we sit out at the range and it is nothing to fire 50/100/200 times on a Saturday or so, or maybe over the weekend, I would not think it to be that way with a Mountain man. They were very careful not to waste if they did not have to. Never know when you would get back for supplies or rhondy!!
Just my opion.
Aim small, miss small...

reddog
HaHaHa........Ok, now I see how "one" patch to clean works! I have tried using the TOW...flintlock syphon thingy some and had sorta mixed success with it. Thanks for the info.
Macon

Well, if you're talking period cleaning--I've always used plain water, dump some in the bore and swish around and dump out, then tow on a worm (no, I've not run across tow on any manifest of goods headed to the mountains--I use it because I bought a HUGE bag of it years ago and the stuff lasts forever). As mentioned, other fibers work, too---grass is messy and leaves bits of stem and leaves in the barrel, buffalo hair works good, though. Anyway, wipe down with wet material on the worm, then some dry material, then some oil. I use animal oils I've rendered myself---bear if I can get it, otherwise coon or whatever --we had goose last Easter, so I'm working on a bottle of goosegrease right now.

I pulled my breachplug a couple of years ago, after 10-15 years of cleaning my J. Henry rifle that way---had a nice, shiny bore, not a hint of corrosion.

As far as shooting patches go, cloth was available and preferred, but leather--presumably braintan--was used as well. John Palliser, who was at Ft. Union in the 1840s specifically mentions using leather patching on the balls in his book, Solitary Rambles.

Rod

I have a lot of Spanish moss around my area. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it could be promising at least for cleaning. It was used for a number of things in the south.

They bought cloth just as we do surprising how many cleaning patchs you can get out of 2 yards of cloth. I think since they depended on their rifles for survival a quick swabbing out with water followed by drying out before reloading sufficed. Also they never throw out a ripped up shirt it might come in handy.

Rifleman1776 said:
Yes, interesting thread.
Ye said:
I also doubt they ever kept a single rifle for ten years.

That is another interesting issue. No doubt the frontiersman didn't have nearby Bass Pro Shops to trade in his rifle every couple years. How long did they keep their guns? :idunno: Methinks, just an opinion, they kept them a very long time. Goods were not easy come by. Items like fabric and cooking utensils probably had priority with the household budget. Jes thinkin' :hmm:

At least during the Rocky Mtn Fur Trade era there is plenty of documentation for guns being used up quickly and while there was no Bass Pro Shops there were other sources of supply that didn't take months to reach.
Osborne Russell for instance used up/lost/or had stolen at least a half dozen guns in his 9 years. And that's just one example. IIRC the average life span for long guns at that time (1807 -1840's) was around two years.
The L & C expedition is another instance of how hard guns were used up there's a letter from one of the leaders noting that if they had not had a gunsmith along with them their guns would have been mostly out of use timehe tiem they reached the Mandans in the first few months. Zeb Pike also notes how fast their guns went out of order.
As for re-supply - one common misconception is that during the RMFT ers that the only source of supply, was the yearly rendezvous, but in fact by the early 1830's there were several forts/posts in existence all over the north and central Rockies. Another source of re-supply was the brigades which apparently based on the period documentation carried extras of everything - in the mid-1830's Tom Fitzpatrick's brigade of the RMFCo had all their goods stolen by the Crows. He then tracked down another brigade under Bridger's command to re-outfit.

re: patching - as noted cloth was a major trade article (in fact it was THE major article and on the trade list that note what was actually purchased by the trapper it is the number one article and often in small enough amounts to at least suggest it's use for something besides clothing) and that was not the only source - cloth clothing such as shirts, which were very common in the RMFT era, wore out quickly and the remains would/could have been used as a source for cleaning and/or shooting patches.
As for leather - antelope aka pronghorn makes excellent patching material - it's both thin and strong and readily available.
For smooth bores, blanket wadding is mentioned in period sources.
Tow sounds good/logical and was most likely used fairly often in the east, but as others have noted it does not show up on any of the published RMFT trade lists other than a few references to tow sheeting ie linen sheeting.

LaBonte said:
Tow sounds good/logical and was most likely used fairly often in the east, but as others have noted it does not show up on any of the published RMFT trade lists other than a few references to tow sheeting ie linen sheeting.

That has been my impression too, though I just figured I wasn't reading the right trade lists, with so many people today hyping tow as "authentic."

Thanks for all the detail. As usual! :hatsoff:

I believe there is a stark difference between a firearm being rusty or just fouled.....Rust prevention maintenence is a more detailed, cleaning and oiling. Clearing of the flash hole and flint sharpness against the frizzen. Fouling is the debris against the landings and gooves and the occasional flashhole plugging, a couple of swabbings and a hole pick and Whammo....then go and do what you do and clean and oil when needed. :2

Grey Hawk

lewis and clark were a military troop. the men were required to shave every 3 days and cut their hair every 3 months. cleaning would have been part discipline part necessity. they were in and out of the boats many times every day. animal oils were the only to keep the guns from rusting away. i live on a boat in the pacnw and surface rust creeps in from who knows where. and petro oils were hard to come by as the oilwells weren't invented for a few more years ehhh

snowdragon said:
Good post Klatch. I doubt if any frontiersman ever shot 50,000 rounds out of one rifle, and I also doubt they ever kept a single rifle for ten years. It's very do-able to use a seldom cleaned rifle for, say, five years in the boonies, and have it work perfectly until it breaks, gets stolen, or gets traded.

I think the attitude back then was "Shoot it like it's a rental". :haha: Bill

I doubt the guy cited did either. Sounds more like an urban myth to me.
This would be over 400 shots a month for 10 years.
Possible I suppose.
With a 70 grain charge this would be 2 cases of powder a year. 500 pounds total. Just through the one gun. Did he have others?

Dan

Back