• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moving the rear sight forward

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcmichael

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Those of you that have moved the rear sight forward, how far did you have to move it?

I found the balance point and put it just forward of that, a rear sight in the hand is uncomfortable.
On a new build the near last thing I do is find the balance point and put a bit of tape there, then place the rear sight on top of the barrel to find where it can be focused on well. As long as it’s not on the tape it gets dovetailed in.
001 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Take rear sight out , sand bag your gun / rifle ....sight down the barrel as you would usually but you gotta concentrate on that front sight .... Lay that sight on your barrel at point it used to be , just ahead of dovetail naturally , and as your concentrating on the front sight you , or someone pushes that rear sight forward ....don't concentrate on the rear sight , stayon the front sight. You keep pushing the rear sight forward until you can make out the rear sight gap and can use the rear sight . Mark on the barrel light with pencil if you have to . Try pushing it for and aft until you find your sweet spot then mark it . Thats where you have to make your new dovetail for rear sight . Youll see old antiques with one or even two filled rear dovetails .

Last edited:
I have an older rifle with the sight moved and the old dove tails filled in, it happens as we age the lens in your eye gets thicker and the sight plane changes.

Yes but you are much younger than I, judging by your pic. And the Dark side of the moon prolly has different light conditions.

Seriously, do you mean that distance from the your eye to the rear sight?
From the breech of the barrel to the rear sight. Most all the pictures of me here aren't exactly recent.

Before I had cataract surgery my close-up vision had gotten so bad that I couldn't move the front sight far enough forward to see it, I considered anything past the entry pipe too far and detracted from the appearance of the rifle too much.

A peep sight was the solution to my problem, like having a new set of eyes, with the peep installed my sights are crystal clear as is the target.

peep done mounted.JPG

Back