• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mowrey rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheba

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Thinkng on buying this rifle , what are your thoughts on it.It is in 54 cal and has a fast twist to shoot conicals.
000_0020.jpg

000_0022.jpg

000_0021.jpg

Gonna be one heavy bullet and with enough powder to get even 1500 fps, will kick like a proverbial mule.

The rifle will also be pretty heavy so it won't kick like a Renegade or New Englander firing the same load, but I know what you're saying. I've always tended to think of .50 caliber as about the max for conicals just because conicals of larger caliber tend to be so heavy they do kick like all bejesus if you try to push them too fast.

Although the lockwork is very simple I've heard it is difficult to get replacement mainsprings.

Just a thought. :hmm:

I've had two Mowrey rifles, one a .45, the other a .50, seriously regret selling both.
If the price is right....get it.
You will have a good and unusual rifle, that you won't see every day.
Their wood is most always beautiful. Check for cracks at the pins.
Main springs can be a bit of a problem, but they are easy to make, or have made.
Best regards.
Old Ford

I've heard it is difficult to get replacement mainsprings.
-------------------------------------------------
just make one if you brake one - just grind one out & have any professional knife maker heat treat it - you want it to rock well at about 47/49 any harder they will break pretty easy - tom

use to have one in .32 and built a .50 from a kit,both were fine rifles.in particular the .32,it was a joy to shoot

Last edited by a moderator:
Zonie said:
Although the lockwork is very simple I've heard it is difficult to get replacement mainsprings.

Just a thought. :hmm:

been a while but Deer Creek used to carry replacement parts for them,they are who i got the .50 caliber kit from

Is it marked Mowrey? Mowry? (I think some of the later guns had this spelling.) I can recall maybe fifteen years ago a fellow showing me a rifle and it might have been in the fast twist like that. When I said, "Oh, that's a Mowrey, from Olney, Texas, right?", he got kind of insulted and told me that it was made by someone else. Something about the action being more sophisticated or superior, etc. Might be this is one of those?

Actually, there was a .54 Mowrey-styled gun at a recent gun show here in Northern Virginia. Had no markings whatsoever. It carried the heavy buttplate like the one pictured. The old Mowrey's had a s/n in the toe plate but this did not. Was going to ask if it was a Deer Creek kit gun but figured the seller wouldn't know as it was with a bunch of smokeless guns.

Something else about that "improved" Mowrey I remember. It might have been one of those "1-N-20" or "1-N-30" guns. I do know it was made expressly to shoot heavy conicals and the guy selling it bragged that the action stood up better than the old Mowrey of Olney, TX. Like the side plate wouldn't crack or some such thing. Anyone remember these barrels or guns?

Bill Mowrey was a master machinist, gunsmith, and built guns in Texas out of two or three different locations starting in the 70's or earlier. He sold the company but kept making rifles on his own, as well as casting frames, hammers, etc.

He settled in Wichita Falls where I met him through an aquaintance and we talked guns, metal work, and life in general several times. He passed away about 12-15 yrs ago and my friend bought his shop. Another of his friends is helping me put together a left hand flint squirell rifle.

He was a great experimenter, tried different twist rates including a "gain twist". I missed a couple opportunities to buy one of his rifles and I regret it.

Eterry

Back