• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mutton Tallow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I’ve punched a bunch of wads and wanted to get my Gatofeo’s #1 lube ingredients in order. I’ve always bought my mutton tallow from Dixie, but it seems it’s no longer sold by them. Dadgummit! Now where to get it without it being overpriced and for skin moisturizer?

I use this lube on wads, to fill in the lube groove on my bullets, as well as on REALs. Supposedly it works well as a patch lube as well but I’ve yet to try it.

Might get slammed by someone who knows bettter. I use mink oil mostly, but I have a lot of lard that works as well. Back when I got into this crisco was the go to. And it shot well. Shooting from a rest I couldn’t see the difference between any greasy lube ive used, including bore butter.
Maybe hard core blood shooter can find a differnce between moose milk and bear oil. But I can’t see it in my shooting.
Bees wax and olive oil can be home made and adjusted to the consistency you need. You can get a thick hard for maxie type ball or the front of a revolver, or thin that works in cold weather on a patch
You have lots of options. All are tge very best

Back when I got into this crisco was the go to. And it shot well.
In my experience, and opinion, crisco is the second worstest suff there is to use for our game. Gets hard in cold and way to soft in hot weather and is dirtier than all get out. Absolutely worstest stuff, by far for any kind of lube in this game is chicken fat. Really-really auwfull.

In my experience, and opinion, crisco is the second worstest suff there is to use for our game. Gets hard in cold and way to soft in hot weather and is dirtier than all get out. Absolutely worstest stuff, by far for any kind of lube in this game is chicken fat. Really-really auwfull.
Tell us how you really feel Frank.
Can you even buy crisco anymore?
Shot a lot off it back in the seventies, I think is was the libe in all the Black Powder ballistics charts used by Lyman and Pyrodex when it came out.
Can’t say I’ve shot it since maybe 78 or 9. All the cool kids were using something better
Don’t think I’ll try it now.
Only pointed out that it worked and was a staple for years

I see Durofelt sells it, but it’s out of stock. $13 for a pound is precisely what I’m looking for. Her email doesn’t work so I suppose I’ll give her a call on Monday.

I see Durofelt sells it, but it’s out of stock. $13 for a pound is precisely what I’m looking for. Her email doesn’t work so I suppose I’ll give her a call on Monday.
I’m about to break open the seal on my last package of Durofelt’s mutton tallow. Will have to reorder soon. It’s work well for me.

I have a half a tub of the Dixie tallow that I can send you. I have a quart of the lube made that will probably last me till I die.

Attachments

• Mutton Tallow.jpg
    Mutton Tallow.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I have a half a tub of the Dixie tallow that I can send you. I have a quart of the lube made that will probably last me till I die.
Wow! That’s super generous!

I’ve looked and looked, and all I find are fairly expensive options meant for moisturizing or mixed as soaps. Or I can’t determine if it’s actually mutton tallow and not beef or goat. Not sure if it makes much difference, and whether or not it won’t go rancid. One thing I love about this stuff, it stays good.

I’d absolutely pay for shipping and give you a beer to boot, much appreciated!

Might get slammed by someone who knows bettter. I use mink oil mostly, but I have a lot of lard that works as well. Back when I got into this crisco was the go to. And it shot well. Shooting from a rest I couldn’t see the difference between any greasy lube ive used, including bore butter.
Maybe hard core blood shooter can find a differnce between moose milk and bear oil. But I can’t see it in my shooting.
Bees wax and olive oil can be home made and adjusted to the consistency you need. You can get a thick hard for maxie type ball or the front of a revolver, or thin that works in cold weather on a patch
You have lots of options. All are tge very best
Beeswax and coconut oil is my go-to.

Beeswax and coconut oil is my go-to.
What ratio do you use?

I brew beer and enjoy making test batches to see how things compare. I feel I should do this with bullet and wad lubes, and eventually patch lubes. I’ve really loved Gatofeo’s #1 lube and don’t think I’d change much of anything, it’s worked well for me. But I’m frugal too so if something else works as well… And ingredients that are easier to source is a huge bonus. I intend on trying castor oil on wads really soon.

What ratio do you use?

I brew beer and enjoy making test batches to see how things compare. I feel I should do this with bullet and wad lubes, and eventually patch lubes. I’ve really loved Gatofeo’s #1 lube and don’t think I’d change much of anything, it’s worked well for me. But I’m frugal too so if something else works as well… And ingredients that are easier to source is a huge bonus. I intend on trying castor oil on wads really soon.
roughly about 80/20 with the beeswax being the smaller number. This mix works well for saturating wads as well, but I no longer use wads. I use the REAL in my rifle coated with the 80/20 mix.

I’ve punched a bunch of wads and wanted to get my Gatofeo’s #1 lube ingredients in order. I’ve always bought my mutton tallow from Dixie, but it seems it’s no longer sold by them. Dadgummit! Now where to get it without it being overpriced and for skin moisturizer?

I use this lube on wads, to fill in the lube groove on my bullets, as well as on REALs. Supposedly it works well as a patch lube as well but I’ve yet to try it.
For sale on Etsy

I found Dixie Mutton Tallow to be somewhat seasonal, maybe made once a year, and when gone it was gone. I kept checking and bought several pounds when back in stock. I found bear grease was easier to use.

I used Crisco for a long time when I first started shooting BP. I half agree with you. Found it worked just fine as a patch lube but too temperature sensitive for conical lube.

I used Crisco for a long time when I first started shooting BP. I half agree with you. Found it worked just fine as a patch lube but too temperature sensitive for conical lube.
Same here. I too, like many back in the late 1960's started out using Crisco. It was as you say too temperature sensitive. Would easily melt in hot weather and harden/crumble in cold weather. In the early 1970's I found deer tallow worked much better. So interesting to hear about the mutton tallow. Of course, today there are much better alternatives to Crisco readily available. But that Crisco is what a bunch of us old-timers originally started with. LOL

Latest posts

Back