• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

muzzle flutes.............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1961

62 Cal.
Reaction score
here's what i'm going to do with the end of my barrel at the muzzle....what are some thoughts from ya all....the flutes will be 3/8" long and at the muzzle will be 1/16" deep at the end.............bob

324501.jpg

Greeting White Buffalo,

Just curious, do the flutes serve any other purpose than decoration?

That is a nice clear drawing,

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA, I am carrying your load.

my old name was bob1961....didn't know if ya knew it was me....just fer looks and something different.........bob

One purpose they will serve is to cut your fingers with the corners of the flutes while you are trying to load.

I kinda agree, them things look like they may hurt. I understand the idea of individuality though.

I've seen flutes like that on the muzzles of Jaegers, on the INSIDE of the barrel. Helps start the ball.

(Pardon me if I'm telling the Peanut Gallery that the sun rises in the East).

How do you plan to cut them?

cut them in with my dremel and a chain saw stone and chain saw file....they will be deburred and smoothed out to not cut me..............bob

here's what i'm going to do with the end of my barrel at the muzzle....what are some thoughts from ya all....the flutes will be 3/8" long and at the muzzle will be 1/16" deep at the end.............bob

324501.jpg

Looks good to me White Buffalo :thumbsup:

Not something I'd do......

??....i'm trying to bring something different to the barrel....has no function to shooting....thought it would look different....i've seen where the end of the barrel at the muzzle had file cuts in them to design or dress up the end....this is what i'm looking to do................bob

If you can get an edge sharp enough to cut your finger by using a chainsaw file in a 1/16" deep trough you're a better metalsmith than I. But heck, if you're constructing your own rifle you're already a better metalsmith than I. :haha:

Never saw it done before, past or present, for what that's worth.

If you like the looks of it, and you want to work something in that makes it your rifle then why not? It won't harm the modern steel barrel and it will give it a unique touch.

I "jimped" the spine near the grip of a couple knives using a chainsaw file and it gives them a nice decorated look.

If you like the looks of it, and you want to work something in that makes it your rifle then why not? It won't harm the modern steel barrel and it will give it a unique touch.

yup :thumbsup:.............bob

I like the idea. Was thinking of doing something similar but much shorter flutes. Possibly just filing in notches at a 45 degree angle.
If and when you do it, post some pics.

Hank

I gotta agree with Mike, and Wick. It's not in keeping with the asthetics of the style of gun yer building, and if you are trying to stick reasonably close to a style, I would ditch the idea. On the other hand it's Yer Gun, yer parts, Do it the way you want to. :m2c: Bill (Kinda like pimpin yer ride) P.S. ditch the Dremel, or one of these days it's gonna be an OH S*it.

I've seen some nice muzzle treatments on the face of the barrel muzzle- concentric rings, punched dots and semi-circles, stars, etc. Distinctive. A phillips screwdriver tip, case-hardened, will serve (once) to make little crosses. If you treated just the muzzle face then you could put the nosecap up closer to the end for a more traditional appearance.

Birddog6 did something similar on one of his Isaac Haines rifles he built... I like it and was considering something similar with mine. Here's a pic from his web site:

Isaac_Haines4.gif

i'm not looking fer PC correctness with this rifle....since it has all iron furniture to start with....it's going to be my hunting rifle and no rondy's in my future at this point....just wanting to do this to my taste and a different look on my rifle....i haven't posted pictures till the end product is done....kinda keeping ya all in suspence till then....i know not fair but don't ya like being surprized....i think ya will be pleased with the end result....so fer now i'm just trying to git yer thoughts on stuff i would like to do....my next project will be more PC....thanks all..............bob

P.S....bill i have ditched the dremel....on the sample piece there was an "oh manure" so i finished with my file and i can git them a lot more matching each other....

i want to do what staicx did but on the inside of the barrel so it would be very easy to load that would not be as cool as on the outside of the barrel and bob i think you should do what you want alot of people hear ask if they should do this and that and when someone else says differant they get mad but i dont see why they post it if they are gonna do it reguardless :m2c: but i think it looks fine bob do what looks good for you :imo: :front:

Back