• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

muzzle loading outfitter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

62flint

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering. Is there any muzzle loading only outfitters out there? It has been my experiance when you talk traditional frontstuffer to a outfitter they act like you would be better off with a bow or spear.
Next thought would any one of you be interested in a swap a hunt?

The late PA flintlock only :thumbsup: season starts the day after Christmas and runs till the middle of January. If anyone is local or wants to come for a visit I would be happy to show you around my part of Northeast PA.

I don't think the outfitters can afford to be frontstuffer only. If they were here in my state (Colorado), they would only get eight days work per year. :shocked2: They pretty much have to outfit archers, ml, and regular rifle hunters.

Your best bet is to try to find an outfitter who does understand muzzleloading. If they guide archers, they should be able to work with a trad ml guy.

You didn't mention where you were planning on hunting. Things could be different in other states.

I don't have any burning desire to hunt in VA, having done so while I lived there many years back. If you are interested in an ml hunt in Colorado, I can help you get going in the right direction so's you can do it yourself. It's all about planning, and IMO you can spend the same amount of time planning your own hunt as you would picking an outfitter and no matter how careful you are, the outfitter is no guarantee. I've seen outfitters in CO guiding out of state hunters and hunting areas that I would only walk or drive through to get to the good stuff!

Have you checked up in Canada? Gun regulations up there may make it more likely for an outfitter to work this niche of the market.

If you did muzzleloader only in NY you could go from the end of october for early northern MZ through reg Northern and then for southern all through regular season and into late December for the late muzzleloader. That's how I hunt anyway. lol

B

You probably won't find a trad. ML outfitter that exclusively guides for that. Like someone said, they are in the business to make money, and probably take bow, rifle, and ML hunters. I would bet tho, that if you find someone that understands, and successfully guides bowhunters, he will probably be very receptive to guiding a ML hunter, because he understands the range limitations.

I'll tell you how we "made" a ML outfitter. Back in 1981 5 of us from home, went to Wyo. to hunt antelope. One of the guy's son-in-law was an outfitter out of Casper. He said we could get doe tags over the counter, as well as the buck tag we drew for. Well, three of us young bucks got the bright idea to take our muzzleloaders to use on the does[we all used rifles on the bucks]. The MLs were 2 TC hawkens, and my CVA big bore mtn. rifle. As I remember we had a 50 and 2 54's. Anyway, we all got our bucks opening day. Most of the other hunters left camp, so it was just our party. The head guy gave us a guide, and the 3 of us were off for the day. He said "good luck", while shaking his head and grinning, as we left camp. Long story short, it was a typical windy Wyo. day, but that nite we showed back up in camp with 3 doe antelope. I pulled off the greatest[lucky?] shot of my life. I popped the doe at a measured 165 yds, 1 shot thru the heart, and she flipped over backwards on the spot[my buddies watched all of it thru their binocs]. Needless to say, when we got back to camp, Harold[the outfitter was dumbfounded :shocked2: ! Next year, in his hunting brochure he was offering combo rifle/muzzleloader antelope hunts :grin: !

maddog2

Back