• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzle UNloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zouaver

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Any suggestions for the best way to get a 58 caliber minie ball out of a musket?

Background: I loaded 50 grains of Pyrodex and a minie ball into a reproduction musket that has never misfired before. Three caps popped, but the gun didn't fire. (The caps were decades old, but still seem pretty lively. I have never used anything but DuPont FFG before, though. Maybe Pyrodex takes a hotter cap?)

Many years ago I tried to pull a ball with twisty pronged-type puller with no luck, but I don't even have one of those now. Suggestions? Thanks for any help you can lend.

JJ

I suggest pulling the nipple and sprinkling in some real black, reinstaaling the nipple and trying another cap! :hmm:

I would unscrew the nipple and insure that it is clear and add a little under it and screw it in and try again. If you have any real black powder add that. Geo. T.

X2
Geo T said:
I would unscrew the nipple and insure that it is clear and add a little under it and screw it in and try again. If you have any real black powder add that. Geo. T.

OK, I'll try removing the nipple and putting in some real black powder. That sounds like it should work. I'll post my results when I do it.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone! :grin:
JJ

ohio ramrod said:
I suggest pulling the nipple and sprinkling in some real black, reinstaaling the nipple and trying another cap! :hmm:
IBID
Before I learned how to do this I relied on a ball puller/screw type attachment to my ramrod, which is still a useful accoutrement but if you don't have a dryball then pulling the nipple and getting a few grains of powder in there sure is easier. You will also want to make sure that the nipple itself isn't plugged up with powder fouling.

If you get ignition make sure the mini cleared the bore before recharging to try again. If it didn't push it back down against the charge fed through the nipple. It is possible, although some what unlikely, to ring a barrel with to much fine grained powder trickled in for a clearing charge. MD

Zouaver said:
OK, I'll try removing the nipple and putting in some real black powder. That sounds like it should work. I'll post my results when I do it.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone! :grin:
JJ

There is also a device known as a 'nipple charger'. It sorta injects a small amount of 4Fg bp into the nipple before seating the cap. You might say it turns the cap into a magnum.

I mostly shoot 777 but I always make sure I have a priming flask of real black in my BP case at all times. I've had a couple of new muzzleloaders that had problematic ignition. In the long run they were always fixed by switching to hotter caps and/or replacing the factory nipples with something better but in the short run a couple of grains behind the nipple will clear the immediate problem, and then after that just dump in 3-5 grains of real black first and then add a similarly reduced 777 load on top. It's not ideal but it will get you through a range session if your supply of real BP is low for whatever reason.

PS It's also not a bad thing to own one of those CO2 units.

When U add the powder under the nipple try and use 4F real black. The smaller grains of powder will find their way into the nipples fire channel to the main charge better than 3F or 2f powder grain size. It never hurts to have a lb or 4F around for just that purpose. I always take a small priming tool with me filled with 4F when shooting my 54 Hawken cap lock. Also remove the nipple and dry the nipple fire channel with a Dill Pipe Cleaner before U add the 4F powder.

That twisty prong type puller you mentioned was probably for a patch. The fine powder behind the nipple should work fine, but if not, there is a ball puller that looks like a woodscrew that goes on the end of your rod.

The consensus of opinion is that you should remove your nipple and use a bit of powder trickled into your rifle to blow out your stuck ball. I agree. I do not like to use a ball puller. It is too much work when there is an easier way. Also, I do not feel comfortable standing in front of a loaded rifle even when there is no primer on the nipple. It just gives me the creeps.

On the rare occasion I have used a ball puller I never stood in front of the muzzle. I placed the rifle in my loading position butt down then screwed the puller into the ball and hooked the handle on something and pulled on the rifle to remove the ball. Standing in front of the muzzle would give me the creeps too, about like blowing down the bore. :doh:

if you are going to do that, then you should neutralize the powder charge first. Pull the nipple and clean out bolster screw and leaving them off while pulling will help vent any gas should you get a discharge too.

Get a CO2 unloader. I used mine last week when I dry balled my 45 Kentucky. One blast and the PRB shot 30 ft past the muzzle. I was ready to shoot again. No mess, no risk. I think anyone shooting BP should have one. Be sure you have the right adapter for your nipple size.

YES!!!! The CO2 ball discharger is the best way with out a doubt. I use one all the time for the last several years. I even carry one in my hunting bag while hunting just in case I get excited and "ooops forgot the ^%$#@* powder.Not to plug one brand over another I do like the Traditions better than Thompson.

So....
1. Use ramrod to make sure conical is still seated on powder
2. Remove nipple
3. I sort of grind up the powder a little- but get it into the drum.
4. Put nipple back on
5. Fire gun and WAIT. You probably have crud blocking the passage and still can burn through, wait at least 3 minutes and keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
In the future, snap a cap on an empty gun- pointed at a blade of grass or sand and there should be movement- indicating a clear passage.
On pulling a ball or conical. A ball is tough enough, on a conical you might strip the threads as you screw in and then the ball puller won't work. A CO2 dispenser is essential gear.

bpd303 said:
Even if your wooden ramrod is threaded for a bullet pulley it is best not to use it because it will likely break or pull the tip off. Only use a puller with a metal or composite range rod.
Huh?
What kind of crappy rods are you getting? I pull balls with my wood rod with regularity (I don't shoot out my load at the end of a hunting day). Haven't had one break yet. I did have a tip pull off on a commercial rod, but I thought I knew better and didn't install a pin, relying on the glue instead. Only made that mistake once...

Back