• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader during modern rifle season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father and I got drawn for general deer hunt this year. He did'nt want to put in for a muzzleloader season, so he's using his centerfire and I'll be taking my GPR 54cal.

On this site..Persuction is modern... :grin:

Black powder is it..
Brothers first bp.hunt...Wisconsin late muzzle loader.season.
During the regular gun season he uses his bow.

IMG_20101204_080654.jpg

Get in close and hit them hard!..Happy hunting!....dan

Last edited by a moderator:
All of my big game hunting has been with a flinter for the last 3 or 4 seasons. Once I get a smoothbore, then it is going to be only flintlocks.

I have two hunting rifles: A .36 flintlock Tennessee rifle and a .54 flintlock Tennessee rifle. Will soon be adding a third - a .62 flintlock jeager. All hunting seasons are muzzleloading seasons as far as I'm concerned :grin:

Yes. I used my flint .54 during the early antlerless season last year in October. Been wanting an early ml season(which we don't have)so I just made one out of the early antlerless season. Worked great! Dan.

Does anyone here hunt during the regular big game firearm season with a muzzleloader?

What is this regular big game season of which you speak? :haha: As far as I am concerned, I get three deer seasons per hunting-year, early BP, regular gun, and late BP.

Except for the western most counties in my state, we are pretty much a shotgun only state for the deer season. One can use a rifled shotgun barrel and a sabot, or one can use a muzzleloader, so the scoped inlines, that look like breech loading rifles, are popular.

I have found though, that my muzzleloading rifles using patched round ball are much more accurate than most folks who use a shotgun and sabot, and carry plenty of punch, so there is no real reason to use a modern gun or rifle when I deer hunt. I have taken plenty of deer, and will continue to do so..., and I might add..., the experience is so much more rewarding. I have never had to "pass up" on a shot that I could have taken with a modern gun, and once I had sufficiently trained using my flintlock I wasn't all that limited by bad weather either. OK so IF I had to go out and it was raining like a shower..., I could always load up the TC New Englander caplock, and give it a go...,

:thumbsup:

LD

In Michigan where I hunt its the shotgun, muzzleloader, pistol area only. Back in the day before Knight came along, everyone seemed to run a sidelock muzzleloader. Tc likely being the staple gun of choice. Where I gun hunt when I am back in Michigan a 30 yard shot is considered lonnnnng most are around 10-12 yards so there is no tactical advantage from one gun to another. Thus I usually use a muzzleloader because your only getting one shot off anyways, either that or I use the bow and wear orange during gun season since it doesn't make noise and alert hunters to the magic spot. Hunt with what you love and let the others do the same. I will say though 3 miles walk into the swamp and a lonnnnngrifle makes a perty good leaning post on the cool down breaks.

Last time I hunted with anything but a ML, was 1994......Luck changed, and actual hunting skills came back. Much more fun, and just as successful. Even switched to BP for upland and waterfowl. Gary

I'm the oddball here. I have a bunch of guns, modern and flintlock, hand guns and long guns. I like them all and have spent many wonderful hours with them. I hunt with them all and enjoy it very much. If I have luck with my Henry flintlock or a trade gun I feel honored. If I take the R***r center fire out and harvest meat I also feel honored. After all, I spent money and time working up loads for each of them.

I sure do! I use bows as well. I very seldom break out the modern artillery.

Geo. T.

I have modern firearms, and bows, for hunting, for target, for competition, for SD..., but with the restrictions on modern rifles here, the rifles mostly gather dust. While I have had some interesting experiences with all of them, by far the most fun are the flinters.

LD

im in agreement with stumpy...rifle was just very recently legalized here in chemung county ...however I too hunt pretty much with blackpowder...the farthes ive ever shot a deer is probably only 75 yARDS....AND i love the sense of accomplishment harvesting a deer with a bullet that i cast and patches n lube or what not that I also made....its kinda nice...oh yeah....and the jerky aint half bad either

I hunt archery with a bow and then a bow or muzzleloader for the rest of the season. Some days I take the bow and some the smoke pole. I have a Winchester lever 30/30 I always take on hunting trips just in case but it never seems to make it out of the case. Still hunting with a bow or muzzleloader is what I love.

Since I am unable to draw a bowstring, muzzleloaders (I can still shoot a rifle) are the only thing I hunt with regardless of season. Although with three percussions in my stable, I hunt exclusively with flintlocks. Primitive seasons, regular gun seasons, it matters not. Not sure I'd remember how to hunt with a suppository gun. This doe was taken on the last day of rifle season.

I use black powder for everything I can. Not necessarily a muzzleloader, sometimes BPCR, sometimes cap and ball. During the summer, I hunt groundhogs with cap and ball or muzzleloaders, in fall it is muzzleloader or black powder loaded shot cartridges in my old remmie rolling block 20 ga. For regular firearms deer season, either muzzleloader or BPCR. I have only hunted on my farm during the past 20 years. No need to go elsewhere.

That is a nice deer and a beautiful rifle and accouterments as well. I, like yourself have hunted exclusively with flintlock since 1996.

I hunt with flintlocks and traditional bows only now days. I do have quite a few modern firearms but haven't hunted with them for 25 years.

I enjoy hunting more with my flintlock firearms and recurve bows more than the modern stuff. The older I get the more making hunting enjoyable is important to me. If it isn't fun why do it.

Latest posts

Back